Scratched Macbook, (brand new!) grrrr!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook2,1 2 GHz, 1 GB, 667 MHz, Ipod 4 GB Nano, 2nd gen Ipod shuffle, Ipod touch 8GB
Hi, I've just purchased my first mac, (White Macbook) about 9 days ago. I have been super careful when handling the Macbook and I have a protective case where the Macbook is stored when not in use. I have read alot of info about how easily the Macbook scratches but I'm really upset as I have been so careful ( almost pidantic!) when handling it so as not to scratch/mark it. I have however noticed that there are many scratches all over the macbook both underneath and on the top outer casing. Some of these scratches are more noticable than others. I know these are superficial but I'm worried because I'm unsure as to whether these scratches were present when I received my Macbook. Should I contact apple? Have I been provided with a refurbed model? Are there any products which may reduce the look of the scratches? I would appreciate any help or advice offered. Thanks.

Charlotte x

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It is illegal (at least in the US) to misrepresent a refurbished or used product as new. The refurbished models typically don't come in their original packaging, just a plain brown box. If your Mac appeared to be in a nice, factory sealed packaged, it's probably new.

That said, if you're certain that the scratches were not your fault, I can't see the harm in asking Apple to address the problem.

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com, by the way - and let us know what you find out if you do decide to pursue the matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It's incredibly easy to mark the Macbook, mine was scratched by my laptop bag within a week. Get a Speck case for it from laptopessentials.co.uk as soon as humanly possible. Steal one if necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Maybe mine is made of tougher stuff, or maybe I expect less from my laptops, but I literally don't do anything special to care for mine and there are only a handful of hairline scratches that you have to specifically look for under directed light to be able to see. From a foot away it looks pristine (to me).

That being said, my thinkpad has actual holes in the case and half the hard drive cover missing. I'm more interested in a laptop that can withstand what I throw at it that one I daren't touch for fear of damaging it. The macbook does that for me.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook2,1 2 GHz, 1 GB, 667 MHz, Ipod 4 GB Nano, 2nd gen Ipod shuffle, Ipod touch 8GB
Thank u to all for your replies. I've been reading on the net about diff scratch remover products which may help reduce the look of the scratches, I know that these products require alot of time and patience and I understand the principal of how they work but does anyone have first hand experience of using them? I've been looking at Radtech's ice creme, idrops and icleaner. Thanks

Charlotte xx

Reaction score
which laptop case are you using? if you are using the 13" incase sleeve that is available from the apple stores, the inside tag on those are scracthing the finish from laptops..it is best to remove it. if you arent using the incase case, then its probably another stiff tag within the case that is scratching up your laptop.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased the macbook on line applestore uk. I bought a neoprene LA robe case for my macbook and prior to putting my macbook in the case after use I always run my hand along the inside of the case just to check there is no debris there, (I'm a bit obssesive compulsive, no joke) That's why I don't understand where the scratches have came from? Oh well?!

Reaction score
I purchased the macbook on line applestore uk. I bought a neoprene LA robe case for my macbook and prior to putting my macbook in the case after use I always run my hand along the inside of the case just to check there is no debris there, (I'm a bit obssesive compulsive, no joke) That's why I don't understand where the scratches have came from? Oh well?!

are there any tags in the interior of it?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Which color LaRobe case did you get, applecharlie25? I'm planning to buy one of those as well.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was a pink one. it's really handy, (providing that's not whats causing the scratches) My only comment is that it retains alot of static and most times when you take it out the case you get a static shock! As far as I am aware static build up ain't good for electronics?! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Mine was scratched by the sharp edge of the velcro strap in my laptop bag. Polycarbonate just seems to scratch if you look at it too hard, and as it's a notebook it's going to get carried around.

applecharlie25, if you get any scratch removal stuff, please post about it as I'm on the lookout for something too. And I'd still recommend getting a Speck case, because it's almost impossible not to mark the things though normal use. They also look cool! 8)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It was a pink one. it's really handy, (providing that's not whats causing the scratches) My only comment is that it retains alot of static and most times when you take it out the case you get a static shock! As far as I am aware static build up ain't good for electronics?! :)

Well, static electricity is everywhere - especially in the winter time when humidity is typically lower. It's only a real problem for the components inside of your laptop, not on the outside where it has been properly shielded.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for clearing that one up for me cwa107. I was getting a bit concerned that the static might harm it? Thanks for putting my mind at rest! :)

Charlotte xx

Reaction score
I'm exactly the same way (obsessive compulsive that is) when it comes to my laptop. I just bought an invisible shield for it right when I got it. This thing really is amazing. My macbook still looks like it's brand new, and I got it last august. If you are not familiar with the invisible shield, check it out on there website www.shieldzone.com. This stuff really is all that they say it is. Word or warning however, it is very difficult to put it on correctly without any bubbles, but if you do, it's protected for the life of it. Good luck and I would definitely suggest that if you are as obsessive as you say you are!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I have had my macbook for about 6 months now
Dont treat it as well as i should, ie taking it to school
and i dont have any scratches
only a very slight chip of the left of the screen where i was moving my laptop and clipped a shelf
I also use the incase 13" sleeve no problems at all.

Take a trip down to your apple store, the may even replace it for you :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.