Doubts about external hardware before switching

M

Mahler_seele

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum. I'm completely mesmerized about Macs, I have played with some of them for a few months now but now I think I'm getting an eMac 1.25Ghz.

Anyway, I have a little question here before I start selling my current PC hardware.

I have an external 80Gig HD and an external Pioneer DVR-05 DVD burner, they both work with USB2.0. Both I use with Windows. Will they work with the eMac I want to buy? Will I have to reformat the HD? Will I have to download new firmware for my burner? Am I better off selling the external DVD burner and getting an internal Superdrive ($200 more)?

Thanks everyone in advance

By the way... I also have an 3g iPod I've been using with my PC. Will I have to reformat it (and erase everything it has) once I switch to Mac?

OP
T

trenollet

You shouldn't need any drivers for either and you should not have to format the HD. However, if you can, I'd recommend formatting.

I have a lite-on external DVD burner that works perfectly with my iBook. Didn't need any special drivers or firmware.

Hope this helps and welcome.

OP
W

Wapa18

if you want to use iDVD, u'll need the internal superdrive. if u're not really planning on using iDVD, though, u should have no problem with using the external burner for data backups and archiving and all that good stuff. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.