• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Pic of my trip to Japan.

M

MacHeadCase

I ask because when I studied in architecture, I made a brief homework on the Katsura Imperial Villa (Katsura Rykyu). It belonged to one of the emperor's back in the 1500s (it was his summer cottage) and was renovated for over 100 years through successive emperors. Back then Japan was not really a country but a bunch of fiefdoms.

I think you now need a special permission to visit as it is closed to people for preservation purposes.

Photos here and here. The gardens are magnificent.

More info here, Imperial Villa Katsura.

It is stunning from the photos I've seen and the level of delicate details all over the house? *Phew* Wanna go there too. LOL

M

MacHeadCase

Cool! Don't forget to ask the special permission ahead of time and you'll be all set. I really don't know about the delays to get this special permission though.

Good luck and when you come back from that trip next year, don't forget to post some more photos! I'm sure they'll be breathtaking. :girl:

Till then, we have these to keep us dreaming!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 1.5GHz Intel Solo 60GB 512MB RAM
The Apple Store in Ginza - 1 more reason for me to go there this summer.

Nice pictures, thanks for posting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I am flabbergasted. I feel like I had just visited there.

Talin took the words right out of my mouth!
Thanks so much for posting the pics. :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I ask because when I studied in architecture, I made a brief homework on the Katsura Imperial Villa (Katsura Rykyu). It belonged to one of the emperor's back in the 1500s (it was his summer cottage) and was renovated for over 100 years through successive emperors. Back then Japan was not really a country but a bunch of fiefdoms.

I think you now need a special permission to visit as it is closed to people for preservation purposes.

Photos here and here. The gardens are magnificent.

More info here, Imperial Villa Katsura.

It is stunning from the photos I've seen and the level of delicate details all over the house? *Phew* Wanna go there too. LOL

I appreciate architecture immensely. Art and architecture go hand in hand. And, those photos show great deal of handiwork.

M

MacHeadCase

The door handles are made of pure gold, I've read somewhere. But that is irrelevant. Look at the pictures of doorways, the height of the ceiling compared to the width of the rooms. The dimensions and proportions are perfect for mankind. They make you feel... I guess the word would be comfortable. It is made in a human scale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I always feel calm and peaceful in a Japanese garden. I think, because it is free of clutter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Great pics! It makes me want to visit again. I went back in 1998 when I graduated from high school and did a year of Japanese language study. I've never been to any Disney park in the U.S., but I went to the one in Tokyo.

I remember I bought a portable mini-disc player/recorder in Akihabara, convinced it would eventually reach the U.S. and replace CD's due to it's compact size and recording capability. Never happened and a college roommate stole the player! The joke was on him because he didn't get the AC adapter.

I definitely want to go back sometime to see the cherry blossoms and visit Tokyo again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.