Essential Mac software?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I got a questions which software the posters of this forum suggests for a Mac user. I looking for basic everyday software for a Mac user. I will be also getting into digital photography and graphics. I know some of the basic common ones many Mac user use are Adobe Photoshop and Apeture. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
basic common ones many Mac user use are Adobe Photoshop and Apeture. Any suggestions?
Unless you are a design professional, neither Photoshop nor Apeture are basic, common, or anywhere remotely essential for a computer user.
A good thread to start for software suggestions for a recent Mac owner would be the sticky thread here in the Switcher Hangout, A Switcher's Guide to OS X Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
See the guides posted below...

But first and foremost Quicksilver

:D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
DragThing
Transmit
iBiz
Adium
Disk Defrag (Speed Tools)
VLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
See the guides posted below...

But first and foremost Quicksilver

:D:D:D

I loved QuickSilver but then I updated the Software and got nothing but crashing...I was gutted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
As always, I have to shameless push my Linux to Mac Switchers Guide:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

Even though it is aimed at Linux switchers, there are lots of general Mac sections, including one that addresses critical apps that you just gotta have. Have a look!

Reaction score
OK. I've been on my new mac for a little less than a month now. I pondered the same querie as you a few weeks back and these are my definitely needed programs.

Toast (For burning)
Office for Mac
WeatherPop
Adium (Chat client that allows you to have ALL of your other ones in it, AIM, Yahoo, MSN etc)
Adobe Photoshop Elements[/U][/U] is what I use for my photography...
AppZapper (program that uninstalls ever aspect of an application)
1Passwrd (password and autofill application)
Firefox (browser and the accompanied plug-in FoxMarks)
Disk Warrior 4
StuffItExpander
This seemingly is an issue with some, but I say it's a good idea to have an anti-virus installed as well. I use Norton for mac... we don't need it right now but those people you send things to on pc's will be grateful you do.
Parallels if you want to run windows programs on your mac
and iClock

I think that's it...

Reaction score
Quicksilver is great i also like rapidowrite it lets you type in a shorthand version of a word, and it replaces it with whatever you choose, for example i type in wweb and it changes to my website address. I use the double first letters so i don't get it popping up all the time. Rapido write is free textexpander is the same but $29.

M

MacHeadCase

OK. I've been on my new mac for a little less than a month now. I pondered the same querie as you a few weeks back and these are my definitely needed programs.

Toast (For burning)
*Snip*
WeatherPop
*Snip*
AppZapper (program that uninstalls ever aspect of an application)
*Snip*
Disk Warrior 4
*Snip*

I think that's it...

You're my kinda guy, Bellator!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
There's some great suggestions above. Personally, I loaded the following apps onto my machine right away:

--Quicksilver:
Fantasic app that makes it VERY easy to access anything on your machine. Though spotlight, which is integrated into the OS, covers some of Quicksilver's features, so I use that as well very often).

--Main Menu:
Decent maintence app that let's you clean up your machine regularly and run maintence tasks. I also have Onyx, but use this most of the time, as it loads up MUCH faster (doesn't verify the drive on every load, like Onyx) and has most of the same features.

--FireFox:
Nice all around web-browser.

--iSquint:
Video conversion/compression app. Nice and simple to use. Must have if you have an iPod, or post videos on Youtube.

In addition. Here's a few things I did right away that I think make the computer very easy to work with:
--Drag the applications folder into the right-most portion of the Dock to create a nice easy way to get to all your apps. Do the same for your HD, good shortcuts to have there.

--Set your expose mouse triggers, so when you hover into different corners of the screen it will: show the desktop, show all open windows, show dashoard, ect.

Hope that helps.

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.