Lost Screen Resolutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 400Mhz 512Mb RAM
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the world of Macs and have only now signed up to this forum in effort of finding a solution to a problem I've recently come across.

In January, I got hold of a cheap Powermac G4 on eBay and everything's been working on it without a problem.

From yesterday morning, however, my Mac seems to have lost the capability to use my widescreen monitor at it's normal resolution (1440 x 900) even though it was working at this resolution for around four months!

Looking through the Display settings in OSX, I can select pretty much every resolution under the sun bar the one that I want. I've tried connecting through DVI and VGA, but still no different. I have also tried re-installing OSX but to no avail with the resolution problem. The monitor still works at the higher resolution on a Windows box.

My questions .....
Is there something I'm missing? If so ... what?

Is there a way to force the resolution? In Linux distro's, I'm familiar with editing the xorg.conf file. Does a similar thing exist in OSX?

I hope that someone can give me some info as to what's going on here. It's a great little machine and I'm getting sick of using the display at 1024 x 768.

Many thanks in advance,

Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you try the "Detect Displays" button in System Preferences -> Displays. My guess is that either your monitor isn't sending out DDE information or OS X doesn't think the monitor is capable of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.