Made The Switch - Help Needed

Reaction score
I've just made the leap to a Mac Book, the base model as i will be upgrading later. Need help on two things.

1. Is it true that upgrading the ram will void my full apple care warranty? As i have only 512mb and third party ram is cheaper id like to do this sometime soon. Can they actually tell you have at some point used diffrent ram, if you send it off for repair with the orginal ram.

2. When i first started up the machine the fan was going wild and i was concerned, however it has since stoped. Was that normal?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1-Nope. You can upgrade the RAM all you want.

2-I've heard reports but I am unsure. If it continues to run wild in the near future you may have an issue, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for quick response

Looks like the guy who spoke to me for over an hour at the mac store was wrong about the ram upgrade. I have 2gb waiting from my old laptop!

Yer i though it was really strange, but then it abruptly went quite, wat a relief. Did run like that for around 2 mins

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok sorry another question

I've decided not to put the whole 2gb ram into the machine. Therefore is it better to.

a) Just put in the 1gb ram

b) Put in the 1gb ram and also leave one of the 256mb that comes with the machine

reason i ask is, i've heard it is'nt good to put in two types of ram and also diffrent speeds of ram.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'd go with a) myself.....

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok i made the ram switch and found two things:

1. The ram is recognised and working well, but when putting it in, it does'nt actually slot into anything, just sits there i suppose. Found that weird as with old laptops you had to wedge it into place.

2. The metal cover that goes between the ram and battery compartment wont actually fit correctly ans is sticking out where the ram is, anyone esle experience this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
The metal thing on mine didn't fit perfectly either. It may be orth taking it off and making sure the RAM is in tightly - you do need to apply a bit of force to them.

eta: I just looked at mine, and as long as the RAM is pushed firmly in, it should be fine. The metal bar is warped, but as long as all three screws are done up it's okay. If the RAM weren't in place properly I don't think you'd get the metal bar or the batter back in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Ok i made the ram switch and found two things:

1. The ram is recognised and working well, but when putting it in, it does'nt actually slot into anything, just sits there i suppose. Found that weird as with old laptops you had to wedge it into place.

2. The metal cover that goes between the ram and battery compartment wont actually fit correctly ans is sticking out where the ram is, anyone esle experience this problem?

I'm glad that your RAM is recognized. However, did you make sure it's the same specs as the RAM that came with the MacBook? If you're using RAM from an older computer, chances are it's not the new speed of RAM that the MacBook uses, and your MacBook is having to turn its bus speed down to match that of the RAM. Just a little performance FYI... :)

OP
L
Reaction score
This is what i put in:

Module Size: 1GB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-4200
Specs: DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

Looked about right for the macbook??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.