Relational Databases

Reaction score
Ok, guys, sorry if you just dropped to sleep with the title but these are important things you know. Anyway, what is the best RD package form OZ X? I am using Access ounder Windows but want to be able to run completlely under OS X and not dodge back and forth for duifferent programs. Beside, data sharing for mail merge and the like is handy too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
This is something I was wondering about as well. I do Access programming at work and some one asked for a db program like Access, but they only wanted the GUI db part and not anything that you could code into from what I understood.

Is there a DB program that will let you use code to do what you want? Something where you can create a user interface with objects similar to forms? I know it's something I'll probably never use, but information is always usefull.

Reaction score
When I left Windows I went to Linux and now have come to OSX. I took my database (in Windows), saved it as a spreadsheet file, imported the file into Open Office. I have since brought up that file into NeoOffice and it works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
When I left Windows I went to Linux and now have come to OSX. I took my database (in Windows), saved it as a spreadsheet file, imported the file into Open Office. I have since brought up that file into NeoOffice and it works fine.

But can you still create forms and code it so that the user input does what ever you want to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
FileMaker.

4D.

MySQL. (Interface? That's what websites are for!)

OP
wheels5894
Reaction score
Thanks' for the replies folks. I thought Filemaker was relational now though I have not looked at it for a long time. I expect that neo-office wqould be able to take an OpeOffice file though I would have to move the data, not a big problem. however, MySQL is quite an idea if anyone knows of a suitable graphical front end for it. Writing SQL is not my idea of a restful Sunday morning!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Another one is OpenBase. That link explaims their forms module. Bye the way, the OpenBase database has been around much longer than OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
OpenOffice/NeoOffice has a database module similar to Access, compete with forms, reports and macros. It can use HSQLDB built in (like Access's .mdb files) or you can use other databases. You can even make it a front end for MySQL.

M

MacHeadCase

Thanks' for the replies folks. I thought Filemaker was relational now though I have not looked at it for a long time. I expect that neo-office wqould be able to take an OpeOffice file though I would have to move the data, not a big problem. however, MySQL is quite an idea if anyone knows of a suitable graphical front end for it. Writing SQL is not my idea of a restful Sunday morning!

I googled for Mac OS X GUI for MySQL and came up with CocoaMySQL and MySQL Administrator.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.