My First Post..Panther Freezing

F

Fstop36

Good Day, This is my first post and I am happy to have found you all...I have a G4 350, with 832mg of sdram...I was running OS9.2 without a hitch for years...I switched to Jaguar 10.2 and upgraded to 10.2.8 with little or no issues...I did have some random freezing...I upgraded to Panther and have a terrible issue with freezing with all my apps, like Explorer, AOL, Photoshop7, Etc...When I run Classic all is well...Can someone give me some thoughts, or is there anyone else out there, and I know there must be, that is having similar problems..I am now only running on Classic until I can find a solution...Thanks, Fstop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The first thing I would try is repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

OP
F

Fstop36

Log off...

By logging off , do you mean shutting down all apps?...Explain "log off" please...And thanks for your response...I already did a repair permissions...Fstop :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
did you upgrade or a do a clean install?

You should always do a clean install

This might help
Restart the computer
Hold down Apple + S immediately
Wait for single user mode to finish loading (you can tell)
type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter
If it makes any changes do the same thing again
When it says OK type in restart and hit enter

OP
F

Fstop36

Clean Install

I did a clean install...I will do as you suggested...Thanks, Fstop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Fstop36 said:
By logging off , do you mean shutting down all apps?...Explain "log off" please...And thanks for your response...I already did a repair permissions...Fstop :p
Yeah, log - off and sign back on ensures that all apps are shut down :cool:

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
By log off he means go to the Apple menu and select Log Off...
I haven't repaired permissions since maybe before I reformatted a month ago, and my system is fine... :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolute Zero said:
By log off he means go to the Apple menu and select Log Off...
I haven't repaired permissions since maybe before I reformatted a month ago, and my system is fine... :cool:
If you downloaded the recent updates you really should! You're very lucky!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Maybe if I was running a server, but I'm not, so... yeah. Heh.
I will one day.

OP
F

Fstop36

I just upgraded to 10.3.3 from the apple support site...I will do another repair permissions...The first repair I performed did not solve this freezing issue...Thanks all for you input...This is comepletely frustrating..I have never had this issue....EVER......Fstop

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

I'm still on 10.2.8 and this sort of thing puts me off paying £100 for panther..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i have been on panther since the day it was released and there has not been a single problem for me with it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
HopperJonusFang said:
I'm still on 10.2.8 and this sort of thing puts me off paying £100 for panther..
I too started with Panther and have had a simply flawless performance. Keeping up with repair permissions and cron tasks seems to be totally sufficient very nice avatar BTW :)

OP
D

dtx3000

also been on panther from the start. only problems have been with M$ apps (word). big surprise there.....uh mail crashed once. thats it! a+ panther.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Repair permission is not new to Panther, it has been around since Jaquar days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.