BitTorrent with Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I have OSX 10.4.9 installed. I'm using a Netgear router (going wirelessley in my house). Whenever I want to DL something from bittorrent, my internet just stops working. I tried with both the firewall on and off... the internet just cuts off.

I'm just using the regular BitTorrent client. Anyone have a fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Wait, does internet connectivity just stop, or do you lose the connection to the router (or whatever) all together?

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I think I lose connection to the router because I have to go to the router and unplug it, then plug it back again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Well thats weird... is it a cheap router? Maybe the bittorrent client is doing some kind of firewall sniffing, sending requests to the router that makes it choke.
Try connecting the mac straight to the modem. Does the symtom still happen?

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
It's def not a cheap modem. Downloading before used to work (on my MB). All of a sudden it stopped, could it be my ISP?

Reaction score
It could be that your BitTorrent client is trying to access to many connections at once. I used to have this problem but mine would just kill the wireless signal for about half a minute on all computers on the wireless network.

Your router sees this as someone trying to hack into your computer. Try limiting connections per torrent in your settings. I have mine currently set to 50.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use bits on wheels on a wireless with no problems. Try Ramacher's suggestion. Then maybe try a different BT client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 1.83ghz Core Duo. 512mb ram. Macbook 13.3", 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1gig am
It could be that your BitTorrent client is trying to access to many connections at once. I used to have this problem but mine would just kill the wireless signal for about half a minute on all computers on the wireless network.

Your router sees this as someone trying to hack into your computer. Try limiting connections per torrent in your settings. I have mine currently set to 50.

This is possible as I had this problem even on windows using the Azureus client, if I recall DLink products are very susceptible to this. Had to change the settings in Azureus.

Reaction score
I find that Bit Torrent is a "bit" unstable on my MBP. The application would crash, or the connections would just flake out. Anyway I changed up to Xtorrent and have been happy since: http://www.xtorrentp2p.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
Torrents

I also just switched to Xtorrent - everything about it is so great I paid the $20 to unlock it!

Make sure your ports are open on your mac under System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall, but also be sure your router is forwarding the same ports to your mac (see below for details pasted/paraphrased from http://dessent.net/btfaq/#ports)

BitTorrent by default uses ports in the range of 6881-6889. As of 3.2 and later, the range has been extended to 6881-6999. (These are all TCP ports, BitTorrent does not use UDP.) The client starts with the lowest port in the range and sequentially tries higher ports until it can find one to which it can bind. This means that the first client you open will bind to 6881, the next to 6882, etc. Therefore, you only really need to open as many ports as simultaneous BitTorrent clients you would ever have open. For most people it's sufficient to open 6881-6889.

The port range that BitTorrent uses is configurable, see the section on command line parameters, specifically the --minport and --maxport parameters.

The trackers to which BitTorrent must connect usually are on port 6969, so the client must have outbound access on this port. Some trackers are on other ports, however.

BitTorrent will usually work fine in a NAT (network address translation) environment, since it can function with only outbound connections. Such environments generally include all situations where multiple computers share one publicly-visible IP address, most commonly: computers on a home network sharing a cable or xDSL connection. If you are unsure of whether you have NAT or not, then try this link which will try to determine if you are behind a NAT gateway.

However, you will get better speeds if you can accept incoming connections as well. To do this you must use the "port forwarding" feature of whatever is performing the NAT/gateway task. For example, if you have a cable or DSL connection and a router/switch/gateway/firewall, you will need to go into the configuration of this device and forward ports 6881-6889 to the local machine that will be using BitTorrent. If your device makes it hard to enter a range of ports (if you must enter each one separately), then you can just do the first 10 or so ports, or however many simultaneous clients you plan to ever have open. If more than one person behind such a gateway wishes to use BitTorrent, then each machine should use a different port range, and the gateway should be configured to forward each port range to the corresponding local machine.

If you have one of these broadband router/NAT devices (such as the Linksys BEFSR41, D-Link DI-701/704, Netgear RT311, SMC Barricade, 3Com Home Ethernet Gateway, etc.) you will usually need to enter the web configuration of the device. If you're not sure, try http://192.168.1.1 or sometimes http://192.168.0.1. If you can't figure it out, try the manual for the device -- they are often on the manufacturer's web site in PDF form.

I believe Transmission uses TCP 9090 for some reason, forwarded on the router and open on your mac as above. (Transmission is yet other torrent client, but Xtorrent can't be beat - see jaynorris's post). I found some useful info in getting transmission p and running from http://troykelly.com/2006/12/

That should get you going - Cheers from a Macbook Pro user in Canada ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bits On Wheels is zero config. You don't have to worry about router settings. I use it on two machines behind a router, even at the same time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.