need help trbl shoot'g apps crashing on MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
My friend's MBP is chronically crashing apps.

1. It's new, 12/2006.
  2. It was cloned from her PB
  3. She's running 10.4.7
  4. These are some of the programs that are crashing: Mail, and various design apps
  5. It started a few weeks ago and is getting worse.
  6. the first thing to crash was Mail after it gave her error messages about fonts
  7. When they crash she is forced to run disk repairs before being able to reopen them.
  8. She's currently trying to find her OS disk and Disk Warrior to help fix it, but hasn't found them yet. :)

In the meantime I thought it could be faster to ask here. ;)

M

MacHeadCase

I have a feeling she probably imported stuff that do not run in Rosetta.

Can she create a new user account and see if the crashing happens in the new account as well? In the new account, needless to say she should not import anything from her old account to make this test conclusive.

If it does not happen, the problem is in her usual account. If it does happen, then problem is system-wide or it is an application that is used by all user accounts.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a feeling she probably imported stuff that do not run in Rosetta.

Can she create a new user account and see if the crashing happens in the new account as well? In the new account, needless to say she should not import anything from her old account to make this test conclusive.

If it does not happen, the problem is in her usual account. If it does happen, then problem is system-wide or it is an application that is used by all user accounts.

hehehe. I think you just told someone else the same thing. Should I have just followed that advice instead of starting a new thread?

But I digress. What is "Rosetta?"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Rosetta is a software emulator that allows older Mac programs to run with the new Intel processors that are now being used.

M

MacHeadCase

hehehe. I think you just told someone else the same thing. Should I have just followed that advice instead of starting a new thread?
*Snip*

It's the standard procedure when you suspect a software conflict, it isn't easily identified and you want to find out quickly if the problem is all over the place or if it is just localized.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's the standard procedure when you suspect a software conflict, it isn't easily identified and you want to find out quickly if the problem is all over the place or if it is just localized.

Tanks, folks. Now I just gotta get her on here to read this. :) Be back soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
It would be best to back up her Documents, Photos, Music, etc... to a DVD or server or something and then copy them over to a fresh install on her MBP. That way no settings from the PowerPC-based system mess up programs running on the Intel-based MBP.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
update

She ended up getting a new logic board. She's been spending the last week transfering her files and waiting for adobe to release the new suite so she can get stuff working. Do other people find that adobe's apps don't work so good on the intel processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
She ended up getting a new logic board. She's been spending the last week transfering her files and waiting for adobe to release the new suite so she can get stuff working. Do other people find that adobe's apps don't work so good on the intel processor?

its because that until this month adobe products have not been native to the intel macs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.