Terabyte Space Needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2 Ghz powerpc G5 2.5gb ddr Ram - OSX 10.4.8
I need a few solutions for storage of video data.
My 250 gig G5 won't do it. Can anyone suggest a few external drives (links if possible) to look into? Do some of these systems come with raid?
Thx!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here is a link to a lot of research I did a month ago on externals. Am looking for storage specifically for video also.
Takes me a long time to decide. Am still looking at and reading reviews. The 2nd post has the drives I found. As you get to the end, I am still torn between OWC and WD.

OWC by the way does have RAID options. In my computer purchasing decisions over the years I tend to buy top of the line or as close to it as I can afford. Have never been in a position where SCSI was within my budget for my home machines though. I have tried the RAID0 route on several occasions due to my use of video related tasks and just had too many problems and finally gave up. As part of my research, for this purchase of hard drives, I PM'd some of the IT techs we have here on this site for their opinions of non-SCSI RAID. Their experience/opinions matched mine. So, if you are looking for trouble free, I can't recommend it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The link Settha has for the MyBook Pro above would probably be a very good choice for a 1TB. This is a triple interface drive, FW800/400/USB. Has 2 internal drives, so you could try the RAID if you like. Same drive at newegg is $369.99, but for $5 probably worth getting at Costco if you can drive to get it locally.

WD does not indicate which drives they have inside, but if it is either the SE16 or more likely the RE2 since they're designing it for RAID, these are currently the quietest and coolest drives on the market while consistently ranking between the middle to the top of the pack in all tests I have seen thrown at them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.