Stoping the Mac from sleeping when it is closed up???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook with 4GB RAM and 80GB memory + 500GB external hard drive. iPod Classic Silver
Hi all

I've got allot of music on my mac, and have been using it as a sort of music player in my room. However, I'd quite like to be able to close the MacBook up and still listen to music. This would be usefull since there isn't alot of space in my room!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section of the forum, I wasn't sure were it should go!

Thanks alot

Zacariem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
you could also try sleepless.. you can find it on www.macupdate.com I think its $10.. insomniaX is free so it maybe the best bet if you don't want to spend any cash.

PLEASE read the warnings on these programs.. It could just be a fluke but I used insomniaX on my PB for two weeks and it fried the HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I Remember on my powerbook, if you have a usb mouse and external monitor plugged in, you can click the mouse after you close the lid. It wakes up for you.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook with 4GB RAM and 80GB memory + 500GB external hard drive. iPod Classic Silver
I tried insomniaX. It looks realy good, I'm a bit worried about my Mac overheating though!

I ran insomniaX, but couldn't get the screen backlight to turn back on. I tried the 'Hold Menu & Play' thing on the remote but it didn't seem to work.

Thanks again!

Zacariem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Or you could remove the magnet thats on the left side of the screen about half way down. I took mine out when I colour modded my apple.

Oh and it will VOID warranty. so keep it safe and well. And replace when you take your MB back to Apple(hopefully you shouldnt need to).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Or you could remove the magnet thats on the left side of the screen about half way down. I took mine out when I colour modded my apple.

Oh and it will VOID warranty. so keep it safe and well. And replace when you take your MB back to Apple(hopefully you shouldnt need to).

interesting idea, here is another one, he/she could go out and buy a cd player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I used to lay a pencil sideways hear the edge of the laptop, then rest the lid on it. That way nothing ever touches the screen, and the mac never sleeps.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha I never thought of the pencil idea!! I might try that.

And...a CD player would be rather useless...i have most my music downloaded from the iTunes Store....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
haha I never thought of the pencil idea!! I might try that.

And...a CD player would be rather useless...i have most my music downloaded from the iTunes Store....

You can burn it.
Or buy an iPod.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.