Question on Updating

Reaction score
i have a 60gb macbook. its partitioned into two. 30gb each. the other half is mac os and is windows xp. now i only have 12gb on my mac and 10 on my windows. now if i keep on updating my mac, will my mac HD fill?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i have a 60gb macbook. its partitioned into two. 30gb each. the other half is mac os and is windows xp. now i only have 12gb on my mac and 10 on my windows. now if i keep on updating my mac, will my mac HD fill?

Yes, if you continue to add data, the partition will eventually fill. It will not "spill over" onto the XP partition. When you partition a drive with a second, NTFS partition, that partition is not accessible from OS X.

OP
P
Reaction score
how long do you think? about two years now the updates will conquer 5gb or something??

OP
P
Reaction score
oh another thing. i plug my power supply while the battery is also plugged in. do i need to remove the battery to avoid overcharging it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how long do you think? about two years now the updates will conquer 5gb or something??

If you only do updates, I would imagine it would take a very long time to reach capacity. But I would imagine that you'll want to add new software and save documents and other data. If that's the case, that amount of space could fill up very quickly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh another thing. i plug my power supply while the battery is also plugged in. do i need to remove the battery to avoid overcharging it?

Your computer has circuitry to avoid overcharging the battery. It is safe (and recommended) to leave the battery installed at all times.

Reaction score
While it is safe and recommended to leave the battery in, do you think it could extend the batteries life by storing it in a refrigerator at 40% charge while have the computer plugged in?

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

I'm referencing the first graph with temperature scale.

My thought process was - no point in having the battery in if it's not going to be used while have the computer plugged into an outlet for long periods of time (~5 days). If it's not going to be running, I could store it in a more "hospitable" environment.

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While it is safe and recommended to leave the battery in, do you think it could extend the batteries life by storing it in a refrigerator at 40% charge while have the computer plugged in?

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

I'm referencing the first graph with temperature scale.

My thought process was - no point in having the battery in if it's not going to be used while have the computer plugged into an outlet for long periods of time (~5 days). If it's not going to be running, I could store it in a more "hospitable" environment.

Thanks.

I'm not going to argue with someone's website that claims to be an expert in the subject. Do what you think is best and makes sense depending on your situation. Just know that it is safe to leave your battery in your computer at all times and that it will not overcharge. It will also last a very long time, perhaps much longer than a battery that is being discharged frequently.

I certainly would question the wisdom of storing a battery in a refrigerator where it stands a chance of being exposed to moisture, among other things.

Reaction score
Valid points. I came across that website in another post and wondered if it would be ideal. Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Valid points. I came across that website in another post and wondered if it would be ideal. Thanks.

In my opinion, battery life is finite regardless of how you store and use the battery. It's just a question of how long it will be before the chemical reactions in the battery are no longer effective. I can tell you that I've owned several laptops and in normal usage (just leaving the battery installed and discharging it on a semi-regular basis), all of my batteries have had a usable life of about 2-3 years.

I also work as a network admin for a large company where we have several hundred laptops. In many cases, I've seen batteries maintain a usable life for 5+ years in situations where they were constantly charged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Thanks, cwa107. You've, at least partly, explained why my five yr old thinkpad's battery lasts about a half hour!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, cwa107. You've, at least partly, explained why my five yr old thinkpad's battery lasts about a half hour!

That's pretty typical in my experience. Usually the battery's capacity will slowly dwindle to next to nothing after some time. In my experience, it's rare that the battery will just give up the ghost and be completely unusable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.