External monitor and iMac 20"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
Hi Everyone,

I'm contemplating the switch to a mac and I'm looking at either a MacMini or a iMac 20". I have a perfectly great Samsung SyncMaster 204B that I don't want to just dump in a closet, hence, I'm considering the MacMini. I see that the tech specs for the iMac indicate that an external monitor is supported in both video mirroring mode and extended desktop mode. Video mirroring mode adds no value, and seeing as how the native resolution of my 204B is 1600x1200, which doesn't match the iMac, I wouldn't want to do it anyway.

Is there a resolution limit if I connect my 204B to the iMac in extended desktop mode? Will I be able to run my monitor at it's native resolution?

I wonder how much the performance of an MacMini would be increased with a memory upgrade (1Gb? 2Gb?)? I tried out a 512Mb model and thought it was kind of sluggish. And would the integrated video be up to the challenge of painting my 204B.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm pretty keen on making the purchase soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
If the iMac can span monitors in the same way as the Macbook (and I'm pretty sure you can) you will be able to use both monitors at whatever native, or best resolution that each monitor can handle, at any position that you would want. My Macbook, for example has an internal LCD which I run at it's native resolution of 1280x800, and when I connect it to my external 21" CRT which goes to 1600x1200 I now have an extended screen each at their own resolution. In my case since my Macbook is below the external screen I run a vertical configuration where the external display is both physically and virtually 'above' my internal LCD. My mouse goes over seamlessly, I can drag windows into it, etc.

So if the iMac spans external monitors (I don't have one, but I see no reason it wouldn't and Apple probably would include that functionality) You'd be able to span the external monitor (probably next to it) in such a way as you'll be able to use both at their best resolution.

As for Memory in a Mac Mini, back when I had a PPC Mac Mini a 256MB -> 512MB upgrade did wonders for its speed. I can only speculate that an Intel Mini with 1Gig of RAM would be perfectly adequate, and 2Gig Da Bomb! My Macbook has 1Gig of Ram and is perfectly adequate for my thrashing (remember that the Mac Mini and Macbook both use 'laptop parts' and other than the CPU configuration and portability aspects are essentially comparable.) A Mac Mini isn't going to be able to span monitors, however.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
Thanks for the info walkerj.

Would you believe I just walked in the door with a new iMac 20" upgraded to 2Gb memory. The journy begins.

cheers

If the iMac can span monitors in the same way as the Macbook (and I'm pretty sure you can) you will be able to use both monitors at whatever native, or best resolution that each monitor can handle, at any position that you would want. My Macbook, for example has an internal LCD which I run at it's native resolution of 1280x800, and when I connect it to my external 21" CRT which goes to 1600x1200 I now have an extended screen each at their own resolution. In my case since my Macbook is below the external screen I run a vertical configuration where the external display is both physically and virtually 'above' my internal LCD. My mouse goes over seamlessly, I can drag windows into it, etc.

So if the iMac spans external monitors (I don't have one, but I see no reason it wouldn't and Apple probably would include that functionality) You'd be able to span the external monitor (probably next to it) in such a way as you'll be able to use both at their best resolution.

As for Memory in a Mac Mini, back when I had a PPC Mac Mini a 256MB -> 512MB upgrade did wonders for its speed. I can only speculate that an Intel Mini with 1Gig of RAM would be perfectly adequate, and 2Gig Da Bomb! My Macbook has 1Gig of Ram and is perfectly adequate for my thrashing (remember that the Mac Mini and Macbook both use 'laptop parts' and other than the CPU configuration and portability aspects are essentially comparable.) A Mac Mini isn't going to be able to span monitors, however.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.