Hard Drive upgrades?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro
I'm realizing that my 120GB harddrive just isn't cutting it.

Can anyone educate me about and possible storage upgrades?
e.g., Can I put in a bigger 5400rpm HD? A 7200rpm HD?
What would be required to do either and are there any dangers in doing so?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro
Or would i just be better off buying an external hard drive?
I saw 160GB and 200GB models selling in the low $100s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Hello, going any larger than a 120 gig drive is going to get very expensive, and for the price you can get a much larger external drive, not to mention the fact that you would have to reinstall OS X, so I would recommend going that route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Or would i just be better off buying an external hard drive?
I saw 160GB and 200GB models selling in the low $100s

I would go this route.. as the other poster said anything above 120gb on an internal will set you back $200+

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro
Alright, thanks guys.

To anyone else that's pondering this router, I've found a great website (untested though, so I'll report back shortly) for buying external hard drives.
Its called xpcgear.com. Some of the stuff looks like it costs less than comparably priced stuff at newegg.

Reaction score
While it would be nice to upgrade the internal HD, it's more economical to add an external drive if that's feasible for you. Just shift some files over to the larger external HD later and you'll clear some space on the internal drive. I just picked up a 500 GB drive and that ought to be plenty of space for me...for now.

I'm looking to put my iTunes library on the external drive if I can - will that work without much of a problem? That's 50 GB I could leave free on my internal drive if I can shift that to the external.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Alright, thanks guys.

To anyone else that's pondering this router, I've found a great website (untested though, so I'll report back shortly) for buying external hard drives.
Its called xpcgear.com. Some of the stuff looks like it costs less than comparably priced stuff at newegg.

Yeah, check it out closer, just compared pricing on 10 drives that both sites carry and newegg was 8-15% lower on every one of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.