Browser-like BACK Feature for Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I just stumbled across this little gem a day or two ago when I was setting up Sunrise on my machine. Quite by accident, I have set up the Back and Forward thumb buttons on my mouse such that they do the indicated function in Finder windows as well as in a browser. In retrospect, it is obvious, but I had never done it before, and I LOVE it. I thought I would pass it along.

I have always had my mouse Back and Forward buttons set to OPT+LeftArrow and OPT+RightArrow, as this worked well for Safari and Firefox, both of which I use regularly. When I loaded Sunrise, I found that this didn't work. With a little dickering about, I found that OPT+[ did the BACK function and OPT+] did the Forward function. I tested these keystrokes in Safari and Firefox and they worked there too. Great, I made the change to my mouse's preference pane, and all was well.

This AM, I was browsing through a folder hierarchy in Finder and quite by accident (force of habit from browser, actually, I hit the Back button, AND IT WORKED! Apparently OPT+[ takes Finder back one level, and OPT+] moves it forward to where it was last. WoW! I have always wanted to have Finder do BACK like a browser does.

This is a simple thing, but I love it so much I thought I would pass it on. I hope it may improve YOUR Mac experience too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Cool find!

Also, command[ and command] work too

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Ya gotta luv the Mac - SO flexible and so easy to use!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Command + 'Up' or 'Down' arrow will take you through the folder hierarchy vertically, as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.