Defrag fo the IMAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
the operating system does it for you ! so not really.

if you want u can empty the junk etc out of the system by using onyx

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

apart from that the computer takes care of it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yup, what I have read is that Macs pretty much defrag at the file level on the fly. They do not scatter pieces of a file all over - instead, each file is usually rewritten to a fully consecutive set of blocks. Hence, individual files are pretty much never fragmented.

This works well until your disk is nearly at capacity, at which point, OS X may need to start going block by block. However, at this point, fragmentation of an individual file is the least of your worries - you need more disk, or free up of existing space, anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
That's Apple rhetoric. Run any defrag program weekly and you'll see hundreds of fragged files, even if your drive is 90% free.
I suggest Disk Defrag by SpeedTools.

Whenever my system is running too slow and the HD is to blame, I do a defrag and it helps a lot. Like when I launch a program and I hear excessive HD access... sounds like it's brewing coffee...

1) Quit every program
2) Kill processes you don't need open
3) Run defrag
4) Restart
5) Enjoy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.