No startup chime...

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D - PB G4 - iBook G4 - iMac G3 DV SE
My iBook G4 seems to be working OK but I don't get the startup chime anymore. Is this an indication of bad things to come?
Would a PRAM reset be in order?

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My iBook G4 seems to be working OK but I don't get the startup chime anymore. Is this an indication of bad things to come?
Would a PRAM reset be in order?

Thanks.

The few times that has happened on all my Macs a PRAM reset brought it back. APPLE-OPTION-P-R. Let it chime 2 times and let go.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Don't forget the roto-router of commands in open firmware.

Boot holding option-command and o and f (open firmware - pretty sneaky, eh?) until you see the command to let go. Then type reset-nvram, hit return, type reset-all, hit return, and you'll get a reboot.

Reaction score
the chime also won't come when your sound is muted in OSX. but that's probably too easy ;)

OP
GWR

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D - PB G4 - iBook G4 - iMac G3 DV SE
the chime also won't come when your sound is muted in OSX. but that's probably too easy ;)

Just curious. How can an OS that's not running control the volume of a firmware generate sound?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
becuase it was muted last time the computer was on and it probally boots with the last settings maybe?

its just like the fans, if you use Smsfancontrol and set them up then restart to windows the fans still stay at the last setting you had.

could be similar?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.