I think I'm going to return my AirPort Extreme...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
unless someone can help....

I have my MacBook connected through wireless-n, and a PC connected with a wireless-g USB adapter. BOTH intermittently lose their connection. Now, I'm fairly well versed in home networking, and I didn't have this problem with my $40 Netgear router, so I'm a little aggravated that a $180 router can't even stay connected.

I'd like to hear some suggestions before I go out and replace this with a $50 Linksys....

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
One must ask: is it the wireless router that is losing the connection, or is it the modem that the router is connected to itself losing the connection? Good test for this is when it "loses the connection" can you still connect to the admin page of the router? On your local (192.168.1.X) network, that is. If so, your wireless is still doing its thing but the modem has dropped the connection to the ISP.

I had an old wired linksys connected to my DSL modem, with a linksys wireless router acting as a WAP (Wireless Access Point) for my Macs. For awhile it seemed everytime I logged into iChat I'd lose my DSL connection. When going to the admin page of the router I noted that the 'status' page told me that the modem was 'connecting'. I'd have to power-cycle the modem for it to get the connection back. Both the wired router and the wireless access point were still doing their job, however, as indicated by the fact that I could get to the router's admin page.

Later I eliminated the wired router and just plugged in the wireless router since I have all wireless on all active computers (both PC and Mac) and that seemed to eliminate that problem. Although tomorrow Verizon is coming to install FIOS and they'll be providing me with their own wireless router which will probably introduce a new bunch of possible issues.

Anyway, the point is that between your Mac, the Airport, and the ISP modem there are a lot of things that could be amiss when trouble-shooting disconnect issues.

Reaction score
I've been using my A Extreme for a few weeks now. I've never once dropped a signal. I am going straight from my cable modem to the router. I'm networking my MacBook and my XP desktop with a shared printer on the A Extreme USB port. Everything is working flawlessly. Sorry about your problems. Hopefully you can solve them.

OP
vicariousgeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
Thanks for the responses.

I don't think it's the modem, since this never happened with the Netgear. It just started after switching to the AE.

I've been using my A Extreme for a few weeks now. I've never once dropped a signal. I am going straight from my cable modem to the router. I'm networking my MacBook and my XP desktop with a shared printer on the A Extreme USB port. Everything is working flawlessly. Sorry about your problems. Hopefully you can solve them.

Do you have any wireless PC's on the network? Also, what type of security are you using on your network? (WPA, WEP, etc...). Do you have the most recent update installed?

I've also read a number of reviews for this product on Apple's page, and it appears that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Reaction score
I too have been using my AEBS (the -n version) for a month w/ no problems. I have my MBP connected wirelessly via Airport, my Windows XP machine (until I sold it the other day to go strictly Mac!!) connected via network cable directly to the AEBS, and sharing an HP printer connected to the AEBS USB port. Sorry to hear of your problems; this router has been great, and the speeds are terrific... BTW, my ISP is cable, not DSL or FIOS... (man, I wish I could have FIOS, tbh)..

Reaction score
I have one, too, and it actually solved my signal-dropping problems.

I have one Mac notebook and three Win notebooks on the network using WPA2.

Reaction score
I stumbled across this thread when I Googled the problem I am having with my AE router.

I think my problem is almost identical to the OP and I'm wondering if there has been any resolution.

In short, I have the AE Base Station (802.11n) which my iBook, X Box 360 and Apple TV connect with (and stay connected) flawlessly. My PC is quite another story. I am able to connect to my wireless network but I lose my connection each and every time after 5-10 minutes. The *only* way to rejoin the wireless network is to reboot the PC. If I try and reconnect without rebooting, it doesn't get past "Acquiring Network Address."

Oh yeah.....the PC is running XP sp2 with all updates and the adapter is a Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter.

Frustrating!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.