Must Have Programs

Reaction score
Hey all. Just purchased my first mac after 12 years of using pc's. At any rate, I was curious what programs you feel are "MUST HAVES?" I did install NeoOffice (even though I am a fan of MS Word)... AppZapper, CandyBar, MacJournal (not a must have but I like to keep a journal), Flip4Mac, and Adium. I think that covers most of what I've put in here...

Anyway, thanks in advance. This forum is a blessing (had this macbook for 5 days before I finally found out why my network wasn't staying connected: the WEP issue).

Funk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I've had my MacBook since Feb and the only non-standard apps I've 'needed' or chosen to use are:

Firefox
Thunderbird
Adium
NeoOffice
Smultron (advanced text editor)

I've tried loads of widgets and a few (mostly free) games.

I am almost surprised how much comes as standard with OS X.

I would like to get Office:Mac 2008 (or whatever it'll be called) when MS launch it later this year (I think it's coming out this year).

You might want to have a look at The Gimp a pretty powerful OpenSource Graphics application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Doing a search will bring up many threads with this question already answered. I think there's actually one with the exact same title or contains the same words.

Also, there's a sticky under "Switcher's Hangout" with plenty of app recommendations.

Welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Welcome Bellator1968! Yes, fleurya is right, there are many threads here to answer your questions.

But, everyone agrees that Quicksilver is a must!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
vlc comes in handy from time to time.
it's a media player that plays virtually everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.