Doing the Switch!!!

P

psychotoe

Ok so I just found a pretty good deal on an iMac. I have used Windows for the longest time now but never liked it. It is just to annoying for me, the crashes are just to frequent. Now what I do mostley is Basic Web design (Dream Weaver) and photo editing (PhotoShop) Web Browsing e-mail.

Are these specs ok for what I want to do:

Processor PowerPC G3 800 MHz
Installed Memory 128 MB (SDRAM)
Display 12.1 in. TFT Active Matrix
Operating System Apple MacOS X
Processor Type PowerPC G3
Processor Speed 800 MHz
Bus Speed 100 MHz
Display Size 12.1 in.
Display Tech TFT Active Matrix
Display Max. Resolution 1024 x 768
Hard Drive Capacity 30 GB
Storage Controller Type IDE
Memory Installed RAM 128 MB
RAM Technology SDRAM
Max Supported RAM 640 MB
Installed Cache Memory 512 KB
CD / DVD Type CD-RW/DVD-ROM
Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD), 8x (DVD), 8x (DVD)
Optical Drive Write Speed 16x (CD)
Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 8x
Installed Video Memory 32 MB
Audio Output Type Sound Card
Audio Input Type Microphone
Modem Type Fax / Modem
Analog Modulation Protocol ITU V.92
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
Networking Type Network Adapter

It's time to do the switch ;)

Thanks for you input.

OP
T

TylerMoney

for using photoshop and dream weaver..you're definently going to want more than 128mb ram....I'd max it out, and then you should have absolutely no problems.....you should at least have 512mb ram I think..

OP
P

psychotoe

TylerMoney said:
for using photoshop and dream weaver..you're definently going to want more than 128mb ram....I'd max it out, and then you should have absolutely no problems.....you should at least have 512mb ram I think..

Well I got the imac, and man what a diffrence from windows, it's like apples and oranges, I have a lot to learn about this OS. What I don't know though is where do I check system specs like I would like to see how much ram is in this thing and how much hard drive space I have and all that. So far I have to say it looks and feels better then a pc. My only complaint so far is that it's a 12" the screen is a bit small for me, but that's ok so far I'm loving it.

OP
W

Wapa18

to find out the specs, just go to the apple menu in the top left corner of the screen, and click "about this mac". that'll give you processor info, ram, and if you click "more info" it'll give you a lot more information about the hardware and everything. to find out how much free hard drive space you have, just double click on the hard drive icon on your desktop, and it should say either at the top or bottom of that window how much free space you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Another place to look at Mac performance is Finder > Applications > Utilities > Activity monitor and click open monitor from the top menu bar

OP
C

Chamorro

witeshark said:
Another place to look at Mac performance is Finder > Applications > Utilities > Activity monitor and click open monitor from the top menu bar

That only applies to OS X, which may not be on the iMac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
psychotoe - Just to clarify something for you, since you're new to Apple. It sounds like you have yourself an iBook, not an iMac. :) Congratulations on the new machine, and welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah! Congratz - always love hearing of a switcher -mainly cause I have stubborn friends that blindly stay with that other os :rolleyes: Welcome to the forums!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.