Mighty Mouse Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, 8gb ram, iPhone 4
Hello

i need a new mouse, but before part with my cash for a mighty mouse (wireless) is there anything i should look out for?

does it function like a normal 3 button mouse? i need to use dual boot on my mac for university and need a 3 button mouse to use some CAD programs!

thanks

Reaction score
It acts pretty much like a 3 button mouse. And I like it a lot. The "wheel" is quite cool because you can scroll up/down and sideways. Didn't take long for me to get used to that (in a browser or Finder in column mode)!

Although there are things I don't like:
The 2 buttons on the side act as one (it's not left and right - you have to squeeze them) and it's a bit hard to operate.
Using opera, I am navigating with mouse gestures. To go to a previous or next page I used to hold one button (e.g. right in order to see the previous page) and click once the left button. Voila: One page backwards. Since the MightyMouse has only one big button, that works with a sensor to find out which button has been pressed, that function is now useless for me.

A few more "pro's": The battery lasts surprisingly long and the laser works great (no jumping mouse pointer). Don't know if how it acts in combination with CAD but I would recommend the MightyMouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
I have a wired Mighty Mouse and I love it. It has four buttons, but the real joy of the Mighty Mouse is the scroll button. It lets you scroll in all directions, not just horizontally and vertically (but only on Mac OS X). I'd recommend you go to an Apple store and play with one for awhile and see how you like it. I've had 5 or 6 other mice and they're all in drawers since I switched to the Mighty Mouse.

Claire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
This might help you choose.

btw..Welcome to Mac-forums. Hope you enjoy your time here, it's a really great forum for learning Mac's from those who know. Come back often!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
Dekan and gofasterpinch
you can use mm as a four button mouse. If you press the right front "corner" and left front "corner" they both act as separate mouse buttons. This you can set up in system preferences, keyboard and mouse settings.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the responses, great info so far.

unfortuneately there isnt an apple store near where i live, some of the department stores sometimes have the wired mighty mouse on the desktop machines, i will have to go and see if there is one

can you actually click with the scroll ball like with other 3 button mice? has anyone used the mighty mouse with windows through dual boot?

Reaction score
Dekan and gofasterpinch
you can use mm as a four button mouse. If you press the right front "corner" and left front "corner" they both act as separate mouse buttons. This you can set up in system preferences, keyboard and mouse settings.

thx, that's great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
thanks for the responses, great info so far.

can you actually click with the scroll ball like with other 3 button mice? has anyone used the mighty mouse with windows through dual boot?

Yes, you can click the scroll bar and it will register middle click just like the rest of them. It's a slightly different 'feel', but I use it all the time with tabbed browsing.

Haven't done the dual boot, but the MM works the same in parallels as it does in MacOS (at least the three buttons..haven't tried/programmed the fourth button.)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool cheers.

i went out and bought one tonight brand new as i had some gift vouchers. taken a bit of time to get used to the no physical buttons thing but now im used to it its awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I'm on my 3rd Mighty Mouse, so they have some QC problems. On my 1st MM, the right click simply stopped working altogether, and on my 2nd MM the scroll wheel button stopped working. It would scroll, but not click. My 3rd MM is working fine so far.

One caveat; the right click function is either very difficult to execute properly, or it is designed poorly. When I try to right click, I wind up with a left click about 1/3 of the time. So, whenever the action is critical, I try to remember to use Ctrl Left Click instead. One amusing result of this problem is in playing Call of Duty 2. The right click brings your rifle up to your shoulder for aiming the gun, the left click shoots it. An unintended shot gives away your position to the enemy. I can't tell how many times I've been "killed" as a result of that flub up! :confused:

Reaction score
I had a wired mighty mouse and the scroll stopped working when i was scrolling up, i think this may have just been dirt or something as I gave it a good clean before I sold it with my iMac, this seem to have fixed the problem. The question I have tho is the wireless mounty mouse, are they power by the two AA batteries like the standard wireless mouse, thats what im using at the min and it feel so heavy and bulky and plop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.