G3 ibook help

Reaction score
Hey all, im new here
I am currently using a G3 Ibook that was given to me with a 500mhz processor and 256mb ram and os x 10.3.9.

And well I only really plan to use the lap top for my daily web browsing and such not to much really ( until I can buy a new mac book or maybe an iMac)
and well Most things are ok with it except for when watching vids off the web. Anything I actually download usually runI get the sound ok but the video is choppy and laggy even if I let the whole thing buffer and load it always does it.

What would you recommed to beable to bring my laptop to its fully potential?

One thing that I had suggested to me was put asmuch ram into as I can and get and external harddrive for all my programs and just have on the mac HD itself the bare nessecitys which is all i have now. I can include serial number and such if they are needed

Reaction score
yah, I kind of have the same thing: my iBook G4 800Mhz 1GB RAM. Almost always have to pause videos on websites until they are fully loaded/buffered. Otherwise it would be laggy. If they are loaded it's fine.
No probs at all with the MBP. So I guess the iBook getting to its resources.

Don't think putting data to an external drive would help a lot. With my book it's the same whether the disk is full (happens quite fast with 20GB) or I have 7 gig free space. Also I find it kind of anoying to always carry an external drive around.

Maybe as a "intermediate solution": There is FLVR (http://www.tastyapps.com/) With that one you can download most of the videos on websites. Videos might run better, when they are not running in a browser...

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
But the problem still occurs when i let it bufffer or load all the way.

Yeah, you're getting bitten in the butt by the 500mhz. You can max it out at 640 for about $60, but it won't totally get rid of the chopiness. View it on as small a resolution as you can (less info to crank through the processor) and keep saving for that macbook! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 IBook 700 Mhz, 256 MB RAM, 16 MB VRAM
yeah i own a 700 mhz g3 ibook which has a 16 mb videocard with 256 mb ram too. same symptoms. nothing seems to work to make the videos play smoothly through the browser. it really pisses me off as the only reason why i bought it was to use as a portable internet browsing machine. everyone who owns a mac keeps telling me its your processor etc, etc. well, i'm kind of sick of hearing that. case in point, i also own 2 PCs. one for my actual graphics, gaming stuff and the other which is a dinosaur running at only 450 mhz , 10 gig HD with only 256 mb ram as well and a 8 mb videocard. guess what though? that machine can run streaming web video smoothly and efficiently. so excuse me if i'm a little confuzzled why my comparatively higher spec'd mac cant handle something that a POS pc can handle with ease. don't get me wrong. i think macs are fine machines in their own right. It annoys me though when everyone brags about how superior macs are and as you can see when it comes to something like this it really makes one wonder if all these claims hold water. just my two cents and i'm sure i'll get flamed for pointing this out.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
boner's comment just got me thinking - there's a way to allocate % of ram to particular apps (mac life or macworld just had an article on it). Since you're only using it for browsing, send all your resources to quicktime or the browser and see if that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.