iMac 350MHz upgrade to 10.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
A guy at work picked up a G3 iMac (350MHz, 7GB, CD) a year ago and finally got around to trying it out recently. It won't load OS9. It just quits 1/4 of the way through. I tried using a copy of OS9 I have but its for a G4 Powermac and doesn't want to boot.
I figured the best solution would just be to install 10.3 on the thing just to get it running for him. I said I needed to do a firmware update.

Am I kinda screwed here because I cannot do a firmware upgrade because OS9 does not work?
Any suggestions on how to make OS9 work so I can upgrade the firmware?

I am not going to put money in the machine for him and he seemed pretty upset having to spend $20 on it recently. I don't want to work too hard because he said I could have it if I cannot fix it.

I'd like to know how to fix it because I'd rather fix it and give it back. But a free Mac to mess around with is tempting. Please help.

Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
Being the good guy I am, I won't help you so you can have the free Mac.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I'd like some help. PLEASE!!

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Resetting the PRAM and NVRAM didn't help...
Now that it's officially mine, can I upgrade to any G3 logicboard on my slotloading 350MHz iMac G3? I was thinking about putting in the 500MHz or 600MHz version, slapping in 1GB (2x 512MB) of RAM or so and an 80GB HD or something. I can't find a slotloading CD-RW to replace the CD drive. I can spend like $100 to $150. It should be very possible, right?
Bryan

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a few hours of messing around with it this evening...

Photo 12.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.