Powerbook vs Ibook g4

J

Joeytpg

guys....what do you think.......i mean.....i know they're different computers with different config. but overall......which one you think is better by itself..

as it s and as it comes..........which one's worth the buck BETTER?

i think i'll buy a Powerbook 15" but i dont know with the ibook g4 now......i need it for internet browsing, office (word, excel, power point), photoshop, pretty much the normal. I'm buying my computer to substitute my PC desktop while i'm in Spain doin' my master's.

c'mon i need opinions on this Powerbook vs ibook g4 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I say powerbook.. It's so much easier to upgrade RAM (then CPU) and it has a sweet set of ports! :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

The PowerBook is defenintly a better computer power wise....but it really just matters on what you want. The powerbook has many advantages....faster processor with a newer g4 chip, more cashe, etc etc....also it is made of aluminium and is extremely sexy.

But the iBook is an excellent computer..especially since it was upgraded..but still again...what do you want to do with it...if mostly what you'll do is word processing, music, and internet...why spend the extra money on the powerbook? ...unless of course you willing to pay extra just for the desing and you like buying the best of the best....but the best for one could be different for others...

OP
C

Chamorro

IMO, the bang-for-the-buck winner is actually the 12" PowerBook. The 15" is a good machine, but the iBook G4 and the 12" PowerBook would both be more than adequate for the uses listed.

OP
T

trenollet

I tend to agree with Chamorro. Naturally it is only human to want the most powerful machine you can get. However, the iBook 1ghz G4 will do everything you want and more for less money. I asked myself the same question about a month ago and ended up getting the iBook and loading it up with memory, airport card, and more programs. Came out about $1000 less than a powerbook 15.

OP
J

Joeytpg

but i mean...the deal is ......i want the DVD burner.......i want more mamory (512 at least) i want it to be fast. plus airport card.

including that........how much can a powerbook 12 cost me??

OP
T

TylerMoney

probably around 1600-1800 for a 12", and 1800-2100 for the 15"..in powerbooks....

but I think you could get away with the iBook no problem still, and only pay like 1200-1500 total.....these are all estimates...I haven't looked at prices in a while....so yeah...

OP
J

Joeytpg

TylerMoney said:
probably around 1600-1800 for a 12", and 1800-2100 for the 15"..in powerbooks....

but I think you could get away with the iBook no problem still, and only pay like 1200-1500 total.....these are all estimates...I haven't looked at prices in a while....so yeah...

i checked it at apple store.....U.S.$2,700.00 for the powerbook 15" just as it comes, plus a backpack case.

OP
T

TylerMoney

well...there you have it....it's a **** good computer...though...that seems quite expensive...I think I was giong to be able to get mine with a superdrive for no more than 2500....but I got the 12" instead.

OP
J

Joeytpg

TylerMoney:

so you ordered the 12".............but you ordered with only 256ram?

what upgrades you got on your 12?

OP
T

TylerMoney

Joeytpg said:
TylerMoney:

so you ordered the 12".............but you ordered with only 256ram?

what upgrades you got on your 12?

Yes, I ordered it with only 256ram, and then bought an additional 512 stick of corsiar memmory. I don't remember the name of the store I bought it at...it's a huge electronics store....not compUSA or Bestbuy....I've gone blank on the name..but the sell both pc and apple products..including computers.....and the store is intensly big....there are like a million check out counters...you tell a sells rep what you want..they give you a print out...and you take it to the check out, and they give you your memmory...I think I spent a little over 100 bucks five months ago for the memmory...it's really good memmory though, and has a lifetime warranty.

other than that..no upgrades really, other than software...I recieved my powerbook like two weeks before they started shipping them with iLife4....so I got that....

OP
J

Joeytpg

TylerMoney said:
Yes, I ordered it with only 256ram, and then bought an additional 512 stick of corsiar memmory. I don't remember the name of the store I bought it at...it's a huge electronics store....not compUSA or Bestbuy....I've gone blank on the name..but the sell both pc and apple products..including computers.....and the store is intensly big....there are like a million check out counters...you tell a sells rep what you want..they give you a print out...and you take it to the check out, and they give you your memmory...I think I spent a little over 100 bucks five months ago for the memmory...it's really good memmory though, and has a lifetime warranty.

other than that..no upgrades really, other than software...I recieved my powerbook like two weeks before they started shipping them with iLife4....so I got that....

so how much you actually paid for your Powerbook?? total

you got super drive?

gimme the specs on your computer. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
This is how I see it, if you're getting new hardware - try to pick the latest you can for your needs. Computers evolve so fast and new hardware is outdated quickly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Joeytpg:
I suggest you get a 15" Powerbook if u need a DVD burner. No point getting an external one. Also it would be better coz with an iBook you would have to get a seperate Airport card and all that hassle. Just buy the whole package in one go... IMHO

OP
J

Joeytpg

Strider said:
Joeytpg:
I suggest you get a 15" Powerbook if u need a DVD burner. No point getting an external one. Also it would be better coz with an iBook you would have to get a seperate Airport card and all that hassle. Just buy the whole package in one go... IMHO

thanks strider........you're right tho.......and also, i was checking the 12" and adding a few things here and there (like upgrading memmory 256 to 512, adding the airport card, and a few things....it sums just as much as a 15".....and with 15 i would only buy the backpack case, and the airport base. that's it.....

nuthing more.

later: more ram, t.v. base (to connect the tv. cable, and use my computer as a t.v.) and a few other things. Probably a two botton and scrolling wheel mouse. and MAYBE, a keyboard. (just for Excel use....and while writing A LOT, with all those loooong school essays! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I hear that about the typing! But since I dont have a Powerbook yet I make a point of posting to forums and web based e-mails from one at the nearby Apple store to get a feel of the keyboard - and I am very impressed! You may wanna wait on the extra keyboard ;)

OP
J

Joeytpg

witeshark said:
I hear that about the typing! But since I dont have a Powerbook yet I make a point of posting to forums and web based e-mails from one at the nearby Apple store to get a feel of the keyboard - and I am very impressed! You may wanna wait on the extra keyboard ;)

really??....cuz most of the keyboards on notebooks are not so great to work on...................it's ok on internet surfin', and some quick things.........

but is it really that great?

OP
T

TylerMoney

The keyboard on the powerbook is quite impressive. I have type on other laptop keyboards, and they weren't very good...the powerbooks is very usible...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
TylerMoney said:
The keyboard on the powerbook is quite impressive. I have type on other laptop keyboards, and they weren't very good...the powerbooks is very usible...
Yeah! this is what I found in the store... Works great! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Joeytpg said:
later: more ram, t.v. base (to connect the tv. cable, and use my computer as a t.v.) and a few other things

Can someone please tell me more about this TV Base ? I wanna have a TV on my powerbook :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.