Sunrise 1.0 Released! Fast, Fast, Fast Browser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Folks, wanted to let everyone know that Sunrise Browser 1.0.1 is now available for download. You may recall that Sunrise is a small, feature filled and FAST web browser. I am posting this message with it! See:

http://sunrisebrowser.com/en/

I am not affiliated with Sunrise in any way - I was just so impressed with the version 0.85 "beta" that I have been checking back at their web site from time to time to see if the 1.0 release was available yet. Today it was!

Sunrise may be of interest because of its clean and uncluttered interface (of course some will complain that it is not "Mac like" enough I am sure) and its speed, both in loading and in executing. Sunrise also features a unique treatment of bookmarks.

Download it and give it a whirl!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Looks Great mac57... Thank you!!! I'll be downloading it tonight.

+Rep to you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I use it for web development, it's "640", "800", and "1024" resolution buttons are pretty nice.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been surfing this web site for the past ten minutes or so with Sunrise and I can't believe how zippy it is. It is noticably faster than Safari or even the G5 optimized version of Firefox (Bonecho). This is pretty neat stuff!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Surfwax95, do you happen to know if Sunrise's rendering engine is based on anyone else's, or is it a completely fresh implementation? I am guessing "fresh", given its speed.

EDIT: Whoops! This is answered right on the Sunrise front page - same engine as Safari.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, not so terrific after all perhaps. The bookmarks functionality just doesn't seem to work. You can create a bookmark, but when I ask Sunrise to show me my bookmarks, it just goes off into la la land - CPU pegs up around 80% and nothing happens. I have to quit the application at that point. No bookmarks = unusable browser. Rather an obvious thing to get wrong... surprised it was released like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Haha, got excited to early huh? :girl:

Anyway, maybe it's just a bug. Wait for the next release or report it to the soft devs and they might put a fix to it.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I will do just that. Sunrise looks SO promising - so fast, so neat. Always there is something wrong. In the early releases, bookmarks worked just fine, but it didn't have tabbed browsing. Now it has tabbed browsing, is still lightening fast, but bookmarks are broken. I will keep an eye on it and let you know when a fully operational version is available.

Reaction score
That thing is fast. I have to DL the newest version and try it again -- just for fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It does look interesting, like a lean Safari with graphical bookmarks. I always get excited about new browsers and have been playing with Minefield recently, but I nearly always end up going back to a solid optimised Firefox, which I have been using in one form or another since about 2002.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
It uses the exact same version of Webkit that Safari does? That might not be a good thing... there's a reason I use the Webkit nightlies instead of release Safari after all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Tried it out and I will admit one thing, it is FAST.

However, I just can't get over the fact that Safari based browsers don't have the same keyboard shortcuts that Firefox has. I know, I could learn the Safari shortcuts, but when I have to switch from Mac to PC on a regular basis, I would much rather prefer having one set of shortcuts transfer between platforms. It's bad enough that I have to remember to switch between Ctrl and Command ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
It uses the exact same version of Webkit that Safari does? That might not be a good thing... there's a reason I use the Webkit nightlies instead of release Safari after all.
Ugh, I think it does. I couldn't find anything on the site and there's nothing in the source code to indicate otherwise.
Guess that would make Sunrise fast, customizable and just as bug-ladden as Safari.
If the nightlies didn't break things like Saft, I'd be using them instead of Camino or Omniweb (which DOES use a webkit newer than the one Safari uses).
If Shiira was updated more frequently, I'd give that a shot, too. Sadly, the beta has been at a standstill and most of the cool features aren't implemented or are broken.

Reaction score
so no luck on getting the bookmarks to work? i couldn't figure it out, frustrating cause it is so cool otherwise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
The bookmarks seem to work for me. What problems are you guys having with them?

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RONE, are you on an Intel Mac perhaps? I am on a PPC Mac - perhaps it doesn't work there?

On my machine, I can SET the bookmarks just fine. But, when I ask it to SHOW me the bookmarks, presumably so that I could click one and go to the page in question, it just sits there and does nothing. I have tried both using the button on the main window and using the menu selection. Both do the same thing, which is... nothing.

If I get impatient and click the button again, my CPU occupancy immediately climbs up to about 80%, with Activity Monitor showing that Sunrise is the major consumer of that occupancy. It will stay like this for as long as I leave it rest. The app doesn't crash, it has just taken off doing something weird. I can go to its main menu and Quit it, and it works just fine.

So, when I ask it to Show bookmarks, it won't. If I ask it again, it goes off for a spacewalk.

Anyone else having this issue?

Reaction score
The bookmarks seem to work for me. What problems are you guys having with them?

I am also having the same problem. With the previous version the bookmarks worked fine - it automatically imported them from Safari (and even updated them everytime I made a change in Safari) but with the new version I have none - zip. I am running a Quicksilver and 10.4.9 if that matters. Do not know if this is confined to just us, or if it also involves those running intel processors.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am NOT running Quicksilver, so we can safely eliminate Quicksilver interaction as a potential cause.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.