Where to buy cheap good quality memory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Hey, go to www.newegg.com. I got a gig stick of Mushkin RAM for my MBP a few months ago and the price keeps getting lower. They sell several other brands of the memory too, but here's the Mushkin I got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146126

It even has a rebate right now! By the way, make sure the RAM you get is a DDR2 200-pin SODIMM rated at 667mhz and, if you plan to install it yourself, you'll need the smallest phillips screwdriver you can possibly find. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
I always recommend crucial for ram - i've bought cheap ram before and suffered the consequences. With crucial you get good quality and decent value for money

Reaction score
Newegg.com or go to Frys if you have one local. I would stick with Transcend bran. I have seen issues with lots of other brands, but I know Transcend always works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I just got one from Newegg, G-Skill, and it's been working like a champ. Newegg typically has the best selection and prices for components.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Another vote for newegg here. Their service is 2nd to none for computer gear. Prices are typically as good as it gets for any particular item/brand.

Am new in the Mac world, but not new on hardware. Have not checked who is making Ram for the MBP, but in my experience, would stick to the major manufacturers like Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin and maybe Kngston. Strongly advise buying Ram that has the "manufacturers" name and warranty on it, rather than a 3rd party that is buying from the manufacturers and re-branding it. Have just seen too many issues building and upgrading systems with 2nd tier memory over the years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
I had a 1GB stick of crucial go dead on me, so even the best can be flawed...BUT...the reason i will ALWAYS recommend crucial, is because they rush shipped me a new stick with no questions asked, and were very friendly. the bottom line is, you get what you pay for. get cheap RAM, and cross your fingers, or buy Crucial and know your safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This thread got me thinking, and I just bought a 2x1GB set from Newegg. I can't believe how much memory prices have dropped in the past couple of months :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a 1GB stick of crucial go dead on me, so even the best can be flawed...BUT...the reason i will ALWAYS recommend crucial, is because they rush shipped me a new stick with no questions asked, and were very friendly. the bottom line is, you get what you pay for. get cheap RAM, and cross your fingers, or buy Crucial and know your safe.

exactly, because they give you lifetime guarantee on every stick of ram they sell. And you know it's quality because it's got a micron chipset.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
exactly, because they give you lifetime guarantee on every stick of ram they sell. And you know it's quality because it's got a micron chipset.

Another big thumbs up for Crucial. Great service, decent prices and I've never had a quality problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
no where else but newegg.

they get 110% of my business and have all sorts of stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
So, I think I'm going to order some ram for Macky. 1GB from Crucial (2X512), ehhh...wish me luck on installing it myself...I'm a girl. :) Ughh..I hope I don't mess anything up. I found a tutorial on how to do it. Any advice?? Will I see a huge difference??? I currently only have the standard 512mb.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I think I'm going to order some ram for Macky. 1GB from Crucial (2X512), ehhh...wish me luck on installing it myself...I'm a girl. :) Ughh..I hope I don't mess anything up. I found a tutorial on how to do it. Any advice?? Will I see a huge difference??? I currently only have the standard 512mb.

It's pretty simple, just make sure you have a fine phillips screwdriver to remove the screws that retain the cover plate. Insert the module at a 45 degree angle until it slots into place (you can only insert it one way) and then press down until it goes flat and you hear a click (you'll see the two retaining clips snap into place). The nice thing about buying from Crucial is that their customer service is very good, so if you feel uncomfortable, just call them and they'll walk you through it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should see a difference - an extra gig will definitely free up some swap space and apps should be zippier.
From my experience of installing ram (not sure about laptops) the key is to be firm when pushing it in.
While you shouldn't snap the stick in half you need to properly click it into place.
Hope that helps, and please don't blame me if it all goes wrong and you break it because you shoved it in with too much force!
Oh, and good to hear you went with crucial - they are very good suppliers from my experience

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's pretty simple, just make sure you have a fine phillips screwdriver to remove the screws that retain the cover plate. Insert the module at a 45 degree angle until it slots into place (you can only insert it one way) and then press down until it goes flat and you hear a click (you'll see the two retaining clips snap into place). The nice thing about buying from Crucial is that their customer service is very good, so if you feel uncomfortable, just call them and they'll walk you through it.

Ahh, buddy, that's NOT how you install RAM on a Macbook. The procedure is different for the Macbook and the Macbook Pro. Your method is for the latter.

I just upgraded the RAM on my Macbook about 20 minutes ago. I followed this guide, which was very helpful (then again, I've been tinkering with hardware for years :)) I noticed a huge difference when running Parallels. I can now have several other programs open without the machine slowing down (not to mention the fact that I can now allocate more RAM to XP, which makes it run smoother).

Netty, I suggest you check out Newegg for RAM as well. I got a set of 2x1GB for only $128, which turned out to be slightly cheaper than Crucial ($144). Plus, I absolutely love their service. Ordered the RAM Tuesday night, got it Thursday afternoon. Now THAT is speed :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro
Which type of ram should I be picking out?
not the brand, but like do I have to get notebook RAM? and do I have to look out for any specific specs? or will any ram do?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh, buddy, that's NOT how you install RAM on a Macbook. The procedure is different for the Macbook and the Macbook Pro. Your method is for the latter.

I just upgraded the RAM on my Macbook about 20 minutes ago. I followed this guide, which was very helpful (then again, I've been tinkering with hardware for years :)) I noticed a huge difference when running Parallels. I can now have several other programs open without the machine slowing down (not to mention the fact that I can now allocate more RAM to XP, which makes it run smoother).

Netty, I suggest you check out Newegg for RAM as well. I got a set of 2x1GB for only $128, which turned out to be slightly cheaper than Crucial ($144). Plus, I absolutely love their service. Ordered the RAM Tuesday night, got it Thursday afternoon. Now THAT is speed :)

My bad, I stand corrected. I just assumed the MacBook was similar if not the same as the MBP (which is very similar to most of the notebooks I've added memory to).

The good news for Netty is that it looks like it's even easier to add memory to the MacBook then it is for the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Thanks for the advice guys!! I feel alot more comfortable with doing it myself. I hope all goes smoothly :X Cause if not, you know I will be here whining..lol I mainly want to upgrade to make my mac zippier. I've been getting beach balls too often. And with leopard coming out (some time this year...;)) I figure I'd be better off having 1GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice guys!! I feel alot more comfortable with doing it myself. I hope all goes smoothly :X Cause if not, you know I will be here whining..lol I mainly want to upgrade to make my mac zippier. I've been getting beach balls too often. And with leopard coming out (some time this year...;)) I figure I'd be better off having 1GB.

Uhh...I still feel alittle bit un sure if I'll be able to do it myself. I'm so scared I might mess something up. I doubt someone at the genius bar will do it for me?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.