Can I buy a refurbished Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to buy a MBP and I see that there are pretty nice offers in the refurbished store.

I live in Bermuda and am travelling to NY in the end of April. i would be able to pick up the mbp at somebody's house, but because my trip is only a few days long, i couldnt return it.

How likely is it that the refurbished products are damaged? I dont care about scratches and stuff, but I mean errors that can be really annoying.

Do you think I could order a refurbished product or shall I spend the extra bucks on a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
refurbs are really good. the most you get is a couple scratches from what I can tell. if you have any errors you could just reformat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've heard cases where people got a product more damaged than they were expecting and Apple switched it out for something in better condition. That's helps if you're worried about getting something beat up. Even if you won't be in town long, there's always a chance they could just ship it to you if it isn't good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Your problem is you don't have the time to mess around. If you buy from a store you can start testing it right there in the store. Sometimes stores have returns that they sell for a slight discount so you can ask a sales rep about that.

I've bought two refurbs. The first was a G4 tower that has been perfect. In November I bought a Macbook Pro Core Duo (previous model). I first had it fixed for a video flicker problem. Got it back and noticed the LCD had many non working pixels in blotches. When I got it back from the fix, the lid release didn't work. This isn't normal, but turn around time must be considered. Also note, that I was told that if I wanted to return it, I had to deal with the online store. The Apple store would not perform that transaction.

Reaction score
My friend got a refurbished macbook and about a week after he got it one of the speakers started going out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic
refurbished macs are covered under the same warranties as brand new ones. if you experience problems you can call apple and have it fixed if it's still within your first year. i have a refurbished mbp and bought the APP just incase. i haven't had any problems and don't have one scratch on mine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 2.16ghz Intel 2 Core Duo, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, 15.4" TFT, DVD+-RW/DL.
Mine has been running great for over a month! :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
refurbished macs are covered under the same warranties as brand new ones. if you experience problems you can call apple and have it fixed if it's still within your first year. i have a refurbished mbp and bought the APP just incase. i haven't had any problems and don't have one scratch on mine!

Same here. The term refurbished implies that the machine has been serviced to be in "like new" condition, but there are always a few bad apples (excuse the pun). If there was a problem with the machine, you would have to coordinate with Apple to have them ship you another in Bermuda. I'm not sure whether the warranty is transferable to other countries, so you might want to check on that before you make your purchase.

BTW, Bermuda is absolutely beautiful - I hope to get back there someday. My wife and I were married aboard a cruise ship in Bermuda almost 5 years ago.

Reaction score
I bought a refurb Macbook Pro 15" a few months ago. So far its been running great. However there is always the slight chance that there may be a defect. You might be better off buying in the store so that you can start it up and make sure its 100% correct and not have to worry about needing to send for a replacement

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.