I Think My Mac Just Got A Virus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook, 2GHz, 200 GB, 2GB RAM
Im not sure, but about 5 minutes ago i clicked on another one of those (click here you wont wanna miss it) hyperlinks while chatting on YIM. The page displayed a "forbidden" text and i wasn't able to connect. nevertheless the guy i was talking to told me not to press that link coz it was a virus site and he's infected. He's a windows user.

My question is: do you think i got a virus or are windows viruses incapable of breaching mac? i see no slowness as of yet but im anticipating the worst.

Should i call a doctor already or calm down a bit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Not a virus for you... Windows viri infect only windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Im not sure, but about 5 minutes ago i clicked on another one of those (click here you wont wanna miss it) hyperlinks while chatting on YIM. The page displayed a "forbidden" text and i wasn't able to connect. nevertheless the guy i was talking to told me not to press that link coz it was a virus site and he's infected. He's a windows user.

My question is: do you think i got a virus or are windows viruses incapable of breaching mac? i see no slowness as of yet but im anticipating the worst.

Calm down a bit. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Before you get too worried, is your machine behaving abnormally?

If you are worried, get and install Little Snitch (http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html), which will show you what processes in your machine are attempting to access the internet. This will tell you for sure whether any malicious new processes are attempting to "phone home" with information from your machine.

In general, I agree with the above posters - the likelihood of getting an infection from most web sites is low. These things are aimed at Windows users, not Mac users.

Reaction score
Isn't there a $2 million prize for discovering the first Windows virus infecting any Mac OS from 1.0 to 10.4.9? If there isn't, there should be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Before you get too worried, is your machine behaving abnormally?

If you are worried, get and install Little Snitch (http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html), which will show you what processes in your machine are attempting to access the internet. This will tell you for sure whether any malicious new processes are attempting to "phone home" with information from your machine.

In general, I agree with the above posters - the likelihood of getting an infection from most web sites is low. These things are aimed at Windows users, not Mac users.

very good program, fixed link also. (you had a ")" in the hyperlink)

http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

I use little snitch religiously, it is amazing, but it is possible to use it for aiding in copyright infringement. I have hear of some people using it for that, actually, the person who sold me this laptop had it preloaded with software and little snitch(I have since then removed the software). I use it for other programs on my computer though.

Reaction score
Any app that phones home every time it starts — Stuffit, Photoshop, Real — deserves no consideration whatsoever. None of them care about privacy infringement. They're as evil as do-no-evil Google: We're just checking for updates. Yeah, right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
If you clicked on it while using yahoo messenger, I would immediately go and change your yahoo messenger password. There are a large number of false links that steal your yahoo account. They don't actually load onto your machine, they steal the id when yahoo mesenger signs into the link automatically aftet a link is clicked through messenger, whether on a mac or pc, it doesn't matter. Many, many many people, myself included have lost yahoo accts due to this, and I was on an ibook. I hit a link in yahoo and my acct was stolen a day later. Go change your yahoo password asap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
*step back*
You have not got a virus
How do I know this?
Because there are no OSX viruses and certainly no viruses you can get from clicking a website link. Also, I'd add that a virus intended for windows cannot affect OSX
Problem solved

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
If you clicked on it while using yahoo messenger, I would immediately go and change your yahoo messenger password. There are a large number of false links that steal your yahoo account. They don't actually load onto your machine, they steal the id when yahoo mesenger signs into the link automatically aftet a link is clicked through messenger, whether on a mac or pc, it doesn't matter. Many, many many people, myself included have lost yahoo accts due to this, and I was on an ibook. I hit a link in yahoo and my acct was stolen a day later. Go change your yahoo password asap.

Just to clarify, yahoo accounts are NOT stolen by a virus. When you click on a link in messenger it takes you to server which steals you yahoo cookie, or something like that. I am no computer whiz. I do however know that it is not a virus, and DOES absolutely work on a mac. Do yourself change your yahoo password, you may not have had your yahoo id stolen, but better safe than sorry. You need to beat the thief to it before they change your password and lock you out of your acct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz 2 Gig Ram 120GB HD
I would think that having a 2 million dollar reward on a Windows based virus that is capable of infecting Mas OS would be a very bad thing. Becoming a virus programming legend would be incentive enough, nevermind a 2 million dollar prize.

Reaction score
I's a Windows virus by definition, though. If it could infect a Mac or both, it would not be a Windows-only virus. MS viruses hit Word on both platforms, but they're MS viruses.

Whew. I just saved myself two mill. I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

That's funny, I just got an email from you with a link to a website stating I "wont wanna miss this"!

Just kidding. You don't have any worries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Becoming a virus programming legend would be incentive enough, nevermind a 2 million dollar prize.

Exactly. The number of people who say 'there aren't Mac viruses because there are not enough Macs' when the reality is you'd get much more publicity if you got a destructive OS X virus out there than just writing another Windows one. Virus writers are egotistical by definition.

Windows has so many open doors that Macs don't have - a registry, ActiveX, the same insecure system it's always had since Vista is based so much on XP etc. And with the over the top allow or deny questions they have now, people just click allow for anything now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.