Disk Image utility?

Reaction score
Hello All,

I currently have a MacMini with OSX 10.4.2 set up on it in a testlab environment, running VNC amongst other things.

I am having difficulty in creating an image which can be stored elsewhere and then deployed again at will.

The image will basically be used as a fail safe to ensure that should anything go wrong with the Mac, I can instantly drop the image taken from the machine back onto it at a moments notice, and allow the users to carry on testing.

I get a constant error whilst using the Disk Utility that comes with the OS - 'unable to create "disk0.dmg" Resource Busy' - and no matter what I try, I cannot get past that.

I am a Network Engineer on Windows boxes primarily, and have very limited experience working with a Mac, so all advice and help greatly appreciated.

regards,

Reaction score
Hi webslinger2k & welcome to Mac-Forums!

I found the following after googling your error. This was how they got around that error:

I just booted my friends powerbook in FW Target mode, selected it as my start-up disk, restarted (booting from his powerbook's HD now), and made a disk image of my disk. Worked fine, but took forever!

I took the quote from here.

Also, someone in that thread suggested you boot from your install DVD and run Disc Utility from there and try again.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the swift reply Pulse-8 - appreciate your time.

With full expectation to get tarnished as a "noob" - what exactly is FW Target mode ? and how would one go about booting into it.

It seems I am having quite a torrid time to do something so simple that would have been done in moments on a Windows machine. I am not knocking the Mac, merely knocking my lack of knowledge on them, and making somewhat of an arduous task out of something so simple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.