Permissions to edit files

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few Office documents that I need to be able to share across the different user accounts set up on this computer, as well as across my network. Right now, i have a guest account set up to edit excel files. Guest creates them, and of course edit/save them. (They are stored under the Users/Shared folder) but I come along, and can't save any changes I make. How can I accomplish this so that multiple users can access certain files, and save any changes made to them?

Thanks

Derrick

Reaction score
Have a look in the Get Info window, down the bottom where it shows the permissions for the file .... If the padlock is locked, click on it and you'll need to enter the username and password of the Admin.

It could be something a little more involved than that, but check the Get Info details first and post back here if you stilll have probs.

Picture 5.jpg

OP
Derrick
Reaction score
Have a look in the Get Info window, down the bottom where it shows the permissions for the file .... If the padlock is locked, click on it and you'll need to enter the username and password of the Admin.

It could be something a little more involved than that, but check the Get Info details first and post back here if you stilll have probs.

For the owner/group i have it set as guest/guest, my thought on that was since i am an administrator, i should have access over all files anyways. What should I be setting the permissions for my files (mainly word/excel)?

Reaction score
What do you have set for the Access permission?

BTW, I don't have Guest in my list for Owner ...

If the Access permissions are set to Read & Write, then there should be no problems ...

OP
Derrick
Reaction score
What do you have set for the Access permission?

BTW, I don't have Guest in my list for Owner ...

If the Access permissions are set to Read & Write, then there should be no problems ...

Access is set to read and write, but under the you can i get read only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.