MBP: External HD

Reaction score
I'm looking for at least 500 GB external hard drive to connect to my MacBook Pro for purposes of backup and retention of files like old pictures, music, documents, and to keep my MBP clean.

I found this particular one on Dell:

Western Digital My World Book

Not only does it store information, but I love the fact that you can connect it to a network connection and access the information from anywhere. Unfortunately, its not listed as being compatible with a Mac. Can it be connected with a Mac? Are there any other external drives like this - that can be connected to a network and accessed remotely?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0, 1gb ram,80 gig hdd, Powermac G5, 80 Gig HDD, 1/5 gbs of ram. dvd writer
This taken from western digital's website,
System Requirements
Available 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet connection (network adapter, router, switch, or hub port)
Broadband Internet connection
500 MB of available local hard drive space
512 MB RAM
Pentium III class, 500 MHz or newer
Windows® 2000/XP Home/Pro
Web browser (Internet Explorer 6.0 or later, Mozilla Firefox 1.0.3 or later)
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive

OP
V
Reaction score
I suppose I won't be able to use it remotely, but can I still connect the drive to my router and use it wirelessly? I just don't want to have to get another router with USB/Firewire connnection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.