A Few Simple Questions

Reaction score
First: How do I change one programs icon?

Second: How do I uninstall a program? I dragged the icon into the Trash but it left behind some files in /username/Library/Abblication Support/ .. Is there a uninstall program or a proper way to uninstall?

Third: How do I defrag and clean up my HD?

I am completely new to mac so please bear with the simple questions.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
First: How do I change one programs icon?
To change an icon; download some icons and choose the one that you'd like in place of the original icon.

Now right click on the NEW icon and choose Get Info. This window has varios pieces of info including the icon image at the bottom - the part you actually want is the small icon in the top left hand corner of this window.

A single click on this small icon in the top left should high-light it (this may be hard to see) click on edit and choose copy

Now go to the original icon and right click on that icon - again choose Get Info and again look for the small icon in the top left corner of this window. A single click will select/high light the icon (again this may be difficult to see) - click edit and then choose paste

Thats it - job done.

This answer can be found here

Second: How do I uninstall a program? I dragged the icon into the Trash but it left behind some files in /username/Library/Abblication Support/ .. Is there a uninstall program or a proper way to uninstall?
This might help you:
As D3v1L80Y said, you can uninstall applications by simply dragging them to the trash. However it may still keep some unwanted preferences files and support files in your user library. If you want to remove all of them you could use an application such as AppZapper or just search the name on spotlight and delete all the related files(you should know what you are doing).

Third: How do I defrag and clean up my HD?
OS X defrags on the fly.

There is no need to defragment.

More Info on this

Welcome to the forum - remember to use the Search function as you may find that some has already asked the same questions :)

I hope you enjoy your new Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.