Is it safe to leave on my MBP?

Reaction score
Hi,

Right now i'm out of town on business and i decided to bring my MBP to keep my busy/work/stay in touch with my family back home. Anyways, I have been leaving it on overnight now just in screen saver mode (screen goes off, just not to sleep) on AC power. Is it safe to continue doing this or am I going to blow out my new MBP withing days? That is something i wouldn't want, especially since it is just over a month old!

And also, here is a stupid question that every MAC user will laugh at me for. I like keyboard shortcuts, and i see this quick one for force quitting programs. It's some squiggly line optoin and i'm guessing power button. Can someone tell me where these keys are, i'm getting frustrated trying to find them.

Thanks

Derrick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 2GB RAM, 160gb HDD
there is a way of keeping the mac on while the screen off. go on your dashboard and find a widget called "nighty night" or "sleep" or such, then click on it and your screen will switch off, yet keeping the programs on. Another way is clicking down the brightness on your monitor up to a point in which the light goes off. hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I like keyboard shortcuts, and i see this quick one for force quitting programs. It's some squiggly line optoin and i'm guessing power button. Can someone tell me where these keys are, i'm getting frustrated trying to find them.

Thanks

Derrick

attachment.php

If you look to the left of your space bar you should see:

Command (key with Apple and Clover leaf type image on it)
Option or Alt (in the above image the option key is the top right symbol)
CTRL (control key)
FN (function key)

Does that help?

EDIT:

150px-Option-key.jpg
150px-Apple_key.jpg

Option Key and Command Key - one or both of these will form the basis of all of your short-cuts.

Both from Wiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Can't you also use the Energy Saver preference. Tell it to turn off your monitor after a minute.

On my laptop, turning down the brightness does not turn off the screen. You can still see windows if you look hard enough.

Picture 1.png

OP
Derrick
Reaction score
Ok, i have this all set up, but the main thing i was asking I guess was, will this harm my MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
There really isn't too much of a need to leave you computer on over night unless you like to stay logged in on IM or are downloading something large. I personally put my MBP to sleep during the day when i'm out and about for a few hours and shut it down when I go to bed at night so I have a fresh boot every day, that and it (for me anyway) isn't necessary to have it on, so I might as well give it a nap and let it cool off. So no, there really isn't any harm in leaving the computer on as long as it stays at a safe temperature (i.e. is sitting on a hard flat desk). Just remember that the power adapter can get warm too, so make sure that is safely positioned. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.