mac to PC networking issue and a quick question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I'm having a little trouble setting up a network with my PC. The PC is reading the files on my Mac with no issues, but the Mac can't seem to connect with the PC. I've tried setting up a password for my administrative account on the PC, but when the Mac prompts me for a username and password to connect, it always says:

"The finder could not complete this operation because some of the data in <my PC's IP addy> could not be written.

(i've been doing this through the Finder>Go>Connect to server)

Also, this may be a dumb question. But is there any way that I can have the PC hooked up to my router so I can access it from the Mac, but disable internet access from it. I don't want any security issues, as i'll probably just leave the machine on in a room with no monitor hooked up to it.

-Nick

Reaction score
When I go to Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server, the address should look like this:

smb://PCnamehere/

What do you have entered in the Server Address: text box on your Mac?

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I go to Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server, the address should look like this:

smb://PCnamehere/

What do you have entered in the Server Address: text box on your Mac?
Thanks for the reply. I've entered: "smb://PcIpAddresss\PcName"

Should I just be using the IP or just the computer name?

Also, I have the windows firewall turned off and my anti-virus firewall temporarily disabled.

-Nick

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it won't hurt to try them all until you can connect. Here are a few links:

http://www.mac-connect.com/win_from_mac.php

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html

Thanks for the reply and for the links. I finally got it working. Get this...the password just had to be typed out in all CAPS. Weird.

Anyways.

So I have 3 other questions:

-Is there any way to mount the PC folders somewhere other than the desktop? I'm picky about cluttering it up. I'd like to just leave them in Macintosh HD or something so I don't have to look at them all the time.

-What's the best way to set up the firewall on my PC so I don't have any connection issues? Any suggestions?

-Can I allow my PC to communicate with the mac, but not get online?

Thanks again for the help guys.

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.