Close button not working?

Reaction score
Sometimes when I go to close a window in OS X, it seems that the buttons don't work. The "X" on the red button will come up and the same goes for the yellow and the green. I click over and over again but I can't close the window. This goes for any window in OS X, not just Finder. To get around this, I have to sometimes click on something else and then come back to it. Am I just doing something wrong or is there something up with my computer? Thank you.

Reaction score
I don't know what it is, but you're not the only one it happens to. My wife has this happen periodically on her unibody white MacBook as well. I've never had it happen on my 2008 MacBook Pro or 2007 MacBook though.

For her, it doesn't just seem to be the close button though. Every so often, she isn't able to close tabs in the browser (not sure if just Safari, or Chrome, or both) until she does the same sort of thing (click elsewhere then go back).

I'd love to see a solution, or even a way to reliably reproduce the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
How old is the mouse? That L button gets through an awful lot of work. A workaround only: become a two-handed user and press Command-W to close windows.

You should also repair permissions, preferably using OnyX Titanium's Software • Download.

PS. please post your Mac specs and MacOS version in your profile, it helps us to help you better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M
I'm using a 2008 Macbook Pro, and this happens to me too. :(

Like both of you said, I often click something else and then come back to it. I haven't had any problems with normal windows yet, just tabs on browsers, but I've seen it happen on multiple browsers (chrome, safari, firefox) so it's definitely a system problem.

I'm running 10.6.3.

OP
T
Reaction score
I ended up going to the Apple store and the only suggestion they could give me was to reformat. I ended up doing that and it went away. They said they had never heard of such a problem before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M
That's weird, ok thanks I think I'll do that as soon as I get an external hard drive to back up my data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.