Does RAM make a NOTICEABLE difference?

Reaction score
Hi all-

I'm about to buy a gigabyte of RAM, upgraded from the 512mb that came with my laptop. I just want to make sure that, before I spend a lot of money on it, it will make a difference. Does anyone have stories about how they upgraded from 512 to 1 gig, and if it really made their computer much faster and more enjoyable? I know it won't make as much of a difference than if it was 2gig, but is it still worth it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I think it would be worth it. Apps will open faster. You will be able to run more apps at the same time. I think it would make your computing experience much more enjoyable. Go for it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
From what I've read, the jump in performance from 512MB ot 1GB is significant. Personally, I added another 1GB on top of my existing 1GB and didn't notice a big difference, but then, I mostly added it so that I could run Windows in Parallels and assign it a full 1GB.

My advice is that if you're buying a new Mac, order it with the least amount of memory possible and then upgrade it later with good, high-quality, lifetime guaranteed memory. It's usually a lot cheaper than buying it from Apple. The only downside is that Apple will not warranty your memory (but if you get a lifetime warranty with the memory, you can always go back to the manufacturer).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
its amazing, I put in 2 gigs, its not that much.....around $75 per gig

Reaction score
I have 2 gig and love it. Mind you the macbook idles at around 1.6GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Does RAM make a NOTICEABLE difference?
Yes.......

.... and No.

It all depends on what applications you are running and how much RAM you have available at any given time.
Yes, with more RAM you can open more applications simultaneously. Yes, applications that are RAM intensive will run smoother.
However, if you are not utilizing all of your RAM now; then no matter how much you add to it, any difference would be negligible since you aren't fully exploiting what you currently have.

The minimum for OS X 10.4 is 256 MB of RAM. I have usually gone by the belief that one should at least triple whatever the minimum is, in order to have the best possible experience. That would mean you would want at least 768 MB. I would start there for basic uses.
If your needs require more heavy use of Professional-grade, RAM "hungry" apps then 1 Gb would be a good starting point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the best way to find out if you actually need more ram is to monitor your ram usage in activity monitor....if you run out or constantly run low on ram then yes you need ram...

if you never run out of ram then getting more is not going to do anything for you because you dont need it
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.