Keyboard 'home' and 'end' keys not functional...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I have a mini 1.42, running 10.4.9...brand new Apple keyboard, and my "home" and "end" keys aren't functioning. Same thing, no matter what application I have open. They don't do anything.

Any ideas?

-Nick

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks for the reply. So this is normal operation for OSX? Wierd.

My machine didn't have a "KeyBindings" directory in the library. There's "Keyboard Layouts" and "Keychains". But that's it.

I created one as it instructed in that article, and created a filed and named it "DefaultKeyBinding.dict." and cut and pasted that code in there character for character, then saved it, and rebooted. No difference at all.

Pardon the noob question, but am I doing this right? I made a new .txt file and used that to cut and paste the code. Then I got rid of the .txt extension and made sure the file was named "DefaultKeyBinding.dict." and dragged it into the directory I made.

Any ideas? I appreciate the help. I'm so used to using the HOME and END keys, this would be great to have that issue fixed. Why are they on the keyboard anyways?

-Nick

Reaction score
So this is normal operation for OSX? Wierd.

Yup, it is working normal.

My machine didn't have a "KeyBindings" directory in the library. There's "Keyboard Layouts" and "Keychains". But that's it.

You probably are looking in the root directory "/", but you should be looking in your account's home directory. The '~' stands for your home directory, for example mine is /Users/michaelclark.

Just move the file you created to the correct directory then reboot.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You probably are looking in the root directory "/", but you should be looking in your account's home directory. The '~' stands for your home directory, for example mine is /Users/michaelclark.

Just move the file you created to the correct directory then reboot.
Seems like the same deal in there. There was no folder named "KeyBindings", so I dragged the one I created into there.

Now I have a folder named "KeyBindings" in Macintosh HD/users/Nick/Library/

And the file in there is "DefaultKeyBinding.dict.", with that code cut and pasted into it.

Not quite sure what i'm doing wrong. Thanks again for the help, BTW.

-Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.