Various Programs Crashing

Reaction score
Hello -

I have been experiencing the following problem(s). It seems that when a program needs to access the hard drives at certain times, an error will occur that causes the program to crash.

Here are some instances that cause crashes:
  • Mail crashes when I try to attach a file.
  • Garageband crashes when I try to save a new session to anywhere but the default location.
  • Grab crashes when I try to save a captured image.
  • iPhoto crashes when I try to Export images.
  • Additionally, X11 will not launch.

Other than these errors, the drives seem to be in perfect working order. I've repaired preferences, repaired disks, and tried unmounting all unnecessary volumes and yet the same errors occur.

Any words of wisdom or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm running 10.4.9 on a 1.25 GHZ G4 Powermac (Mirrored doors) with 3 internal hard disks.

M

MacHeadCase

Create a new user account and see if the problem persists in that account as well. If it does, it means the problem is system-wide or is due to a program that every user on the Mac uses. If it does not happen in the new account it means that you have some file(s) that are corrupted in your old account and it makes it unstable.

M

MacHeadCase

This is probably due, like I said to some app you installed for every user on the Mac and it creates a big conflict.

One thing you could try is download MainMenu (you'll easily find it in google or in this forum as it has been discussed a bijillion times) and run all the deep cleaning, rebuilding and maintenance tasks, restart and see if the system is a bit more stable.

Good luck. :girl:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.