Buy now or wait??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook wannabe
I have decided to finally make the switch to Apple and can't wait to get my Macbook. (I have been sitting on the fence ever since my wife swapped to the Mac 2 years ago.) I evaluated my usage and decided that the white Macbook would be the best and most economical option for me.

My problem is that I am a bit concerned that within a month or two after I receive my Macbook, it will be upgraded. Yes, I know that you can never wait for the next best model to be released but according to this page on Macrumors the current Macbooks are already 3/4 into the average update cycle. I have a 3 month old C2D Dell laptop so I am not really pushed to get a new machine urgently but now that I have taken the final decision I can't bear working on it.

Do you think it's worthwhile to wait a month or 2 or should I go ahead and buy one now?

Cobus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
I didn't wait for mine. Granted i had no idea about the upcoming new stuff as it was a complete impulse buy! But I don't regret it one bit. Whatever you buy it'll be 'old' in a few weeks.... I say do it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Do it, do it, do it etc etc...

I got mine in the early stages of the Macbook and I dont care about my CPU or DVD drive not being as good as the new models. Only cause I like what I have which is the OS that actually works. Oh and my modded apple on the back of the screen hehehe

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Yes, I know that you can never wait for the next best model to be released but according to this page on Macrumors the current Macbooks are already 3/4 into the average update cycle.

The problem with that site is that Apple has under gone a paradigm shift. With the old model, Apple was the only comapany using the processor that were available. Now that Apple has gone with Intel, I believe that will change there update model. There will have to be more updates to any given system before the macrumors can create a better chart.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Welcome to Mac-Forums, zvzyl!

I really ought to keep a copy of the statement I'm about to make, because there's been so many threads like this.

Technology changes constantly. So if you're waiting for the "next big thing", you'll be waiting forever. The question you have to ask yourself is whether the current MacBook suits your needs. If yes, then buy now. To be quite honest, unless the speed of the clock speed of the processor substantially increases (by that I mean, by a third or more) or there are more cores, then the differences in overall performance will be negligible. As far as Leopard goes, there is no way to know when it will come out. From what I've seen, there are no new features that can not be grafted upon Tiger via the aftermarket. To summarize, if the current MacBook looks good to you and will suit your needs, just buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD
I had the same problem a month or so ago. Ultimately, I ended up buying my MacBook now, and I am really glad that I did. I don't know whether Apple will upgrade the specs, but I think the MacBook's are plenty good now, so it is not too big of a deal if they are upgraded. Having a computer that "Just Works" A.S.A.P. is worth it.

Reaction score
Id say wait for leopard to come out. Its rumored to be out in june so its not that far off, and you'll save yourself from paying for the OS upgrade if you want it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Wait for Leopard. After leopard comes out, rumor has it, a month later a new video card will be in the new macbooks, so wait for that next. A month after that, a new processor will be out in the macbooks, so may want to wait for that. After the processor upgrade comes out, then i heard a new display will be put out, so wait for that too. See where this is headed? there is always something later and greater just over the horizon. The brains over at apple are always thinking, always upgrading, always something new to sell thats better than the last thing they sold. The problem is, if you wait for EVERYTHING, then you end up with NOTHING. Take the plunge and enjoy your new macbook. P.S. All hose rumors are just made up, nothing in the wind about a new video card or processor or display, I just made them up to drive home a point. Noone knows when apple is about to release something except apple themselves.

Reaction score
I'd say go ahead and do it! I made the switch last week and i'm loving my macbook. I'm also phone/technology freak! I couldn't survive without having the latest and greatest cellphone/PPC. Everytime a great device comes out, the manufactures would post the specs of the next successor of that device and people would just keep waiting and waiting and waiting. I just buy the ones that i think will fill my needs, and several times a greater and better device has came out a month or so later and the re-sale value of the one i had just bought shoots down the drain.

JUST DO IT! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Welcome to Mac-Forums, zvzyl!

I really ought to keep a copy of the statement I'm about to make, because there's been so many threads like this.

Technology changes constantly. So if you're waiting for the "next big thing", you'll be waiting forever. The question you have to ask yourself is whether the current MacBook suits your needs. If yes, then buy now. To be quite honest, unless the speed of the clock speed of the processor substantially increases (by that I mean, by a third or more) or there are more cores, then the differences in overall performance will be negligible. As far as Leopard goes, there is no way to know when it will come out. From what I've seen, there are no new features that can not be grafted upon Tiger via the aftermarket. To summarize, if the current MacBook looks good to you and will suit your needs, just buy it.

Words of the wise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
I know this is my first forum post, just bought a macbook today, but I've heard that Leopard will not be released until around October due to Apple pulling people from it's Dev team to help with the iphone. They stated it will pretty much be finished by June, however not ready for retail yet and up to their standards as they put it. I'll try to locate the source from where I read this the other day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
If your purchase isn't a "need" based purchase but is a "want" based purchase then you will save a few pennies by waiting until Leopard is released.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.