Mac Forum Software question.

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this has already been posted or if it is in the wrong area.

My question is that I am interested in starting a forum and am having trouble finding software or easy instructions to to so. Is there anyone out there who can help me in this area?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
This forum has been here for years and its a corporately owned forum, so you would have to find a small forum to ask questions about starting a forum for your desired topic.

Edit : check out apple-group.com, they started their own forum and many members over there are helpful. They should know how to do what you are trying to do.

OP
B
Reaction score
cool thanks. i was mainly looking for the right software though. i will check out the link that you gave me. thanks.

M

MacHeadCase

While some will claim it's good, I'd avoid phpBB.

There are a lot of security issues with the various versions and each forum I join that uses it always has these spambots registering.

I read about a plug-in you can install to make it tougher on them though, and you have to crank up security really high to keep them in check like email verification which is a must and there is also the capcha verification while they register that you need to implement.

Edited to add:

Here's the link to tips on keeping spambots at bay if you really want to use phpBB: PHPBB Member List Link Spam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
There's plenty of forum software out there
Some are free, some are not
mac-forums.com runs off vbulletin, which i think you have to pay for
Pretty much all are written in PHP, and use some form of SQL database, so wherever you're hosting a forum will need both of them.
I don't have any particular suggestions, but I'd say that if you do a lot of mods to it phpBB has become pretty hard to keep the spambots

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.