Power Supply Busted.. Again!!!

S

sashax415

I was wondering if anyone else has had the flex joint on the power supply wire tear. It happened with my ibook and now with my powerbook... :mad: I probably should have wrapped it in electrical tape the moment it started to tear, but now its completely broken and if i try to push it together sparks go flying... and my powerbook is sitting here dead.. Anyone else have this problem?? Will Apple give me a new power supply?..

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't know if Apple will replace it, but I am on my third power adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
rman said:
I don't know if Apple will replace it, but I am on my third power adapter.

Didn't someone on here mention that Apple had revised the design of the adapters, specifically where the wires entered/exited them?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Padawan said:
Didn't someone on here mention that Apple had revised the design of the adapters, specifically where the wires entered/exited them?

I have heard about that on another board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
if you're still under warranty, they'll replace it for you.

OP
T

TylerMoney

man, what are you guys doing to your power addapters....I'm so anally careful with mine.....I've had my powerbook for four or five months now...and my cord still looks new.....(not really getting at you guys not treating them right..just commenting in a sarcastic way...but mine is still perfect).

OP
S

sashax415

its not like im using the thing to lasso bulls or anything, but i mean i do sit on the bed or couch with it, and the wire gonna need to move with me... and the first few months it was in perfect condition.. but that little flex joint isnt as flexible as you might think... one little tear and then its just a matter of time....

Anyone else have this problem???

OP
T

TylerMoney

well..I'll have to look out for, and be careful with that...and get out the electical tape right away.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

i've had mine for 10 months now and mine is wripped too now right at the adapter part... im not sure if apple will replace it...i know they wont replace my battery

OP
S

sashax415

well just went to apple today and they replaced the powersupply no problem.. the new one one is supposedly redesigned and thicker than before ... but it looks suspiciously the same to me... i guess time will tell.. thanks for all the input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
This kind of thing can happen to any power supply with those flex control bits - I try to see that it's connected in a way that that part isn't stressed and bent

OP
W

WilliS

heh... i got my ibook back when 600mhz was the fastest out.

the power cord has had a few problems:
1. the connector that actually plugs into the laptop- the plastic cover popped off and the wires inside on the board broke at their solder connections.... luckily i can solder decently lol.. so i fixed it myself, and glued the plastic cover back in place...

2. the actual cord from the connector back to the AC to DC box has broken inside... to the point that i have to squeeze the cord at a specific point to keep the wire connected, and keep power to the ibook.

trust me...im anal about my stuff... i have a dual g5, ipod and ibook... all WHITE and silver... not the easiest colors to keep clean... its not about how we take care of it.. it simply has broken

the only problems ive had with my ibook (granted its only the 2nd generation of the white ibooks.. after they switched from the clamshell look) are the powercord, and somehow the latch managed to break... so it wont close :(

apple needs like a... return your computer every year, and they give you the newest line for only the cost of the old one plus $250 or something... and $250 for each aditional year you have it... lol

that would be fair in my opinion... ;)

my question is, when will the speed of the computers surpass the software demands? (sorry for the thread hijack.. it just came to my mind)

most computers over 1ghz will be useful for years to come... but what we thought was good (100mhz) and stuff, now is almost impossible to run the everyday programs on...

there has to be a time when the computer will not need an update until a significant upgrade in program intensity is achieved.

of course you have your 1 in a 1000 user who renders a 200mb picture, or 3 hour movie... but will games / programs plateau off to an average speed that will maintain for years? i always wonder this... of course it hasnt... yet!

OP
T

TylerMoney

No, I don't think they will. Despite what we believe...all that is about money...programers try and out do the current computers..not by making games bigger than they should be...but by putting out the latest and greatest stuff before the computers are ready....the gaming industry can put out new games faster than computer companies can put out new hardware...or software for that matter..

gaming is all about having a new line of products as often as possible....for people can beat games...therefore get tired of them..therefore want a new game...it doesn't work that way with computers...you put a lot of time, effort, and money into a computer...and usually it isn't possible for the average joe to update that for at least a couple of years...and computer companies don't want to release something when they're still making lots of money off the older things....they plan it all out...pricing on the "older" stuff slowly goes down...and levels out, then POP! new stuff..yay!....and then a year later you actually upgrade..the a year later something new comes out...and you wait another year or two to upgrade, then the new better thing comes out..yadda yadda...game have a much faster turn over..as does software (at least more so than hardware), thus gaming and application software will always be right with, or exceeding the current...or most widely own and available, products...."but you don't have to take my word for it."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Man, some people seems to have all the luck, that the world can offer them. I'm sure if it's due to manufacturing fault Apple will replace the product, they are very good at keeping their customers happy, so long as it's not due to negligence.

Thankfully i haven't had any serious problems apart from a one dead G5. Oh, and i misplaced my iPod but that's not Apple's fault, is it?

PowerBook PSU's are fairly cheap where I am. Maybe cause it's Tax-Free here. I don't know.

Apple, IMO is improving it's products with each revision, their technology and style always leads the way and other manufactures just sit around and copy. Take those peecee manufactures. Good thing there's Patenting and Copyright ;)

Anyone seen a 5Gb iPod laying around? :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.