• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Macbook for college

Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been ran into the ground already... I'm going off to college in August and want to get situated with a new macbook before it's time to leave. With the impending release of Leopard and iWork, should I buy now, or wait another agonizing few months?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Sorry if this topic has been ran into the ground already... I'm going off to college in August and want to get situated with a new macbook before it's time to leave. With the impending release of Leopard and iWork, should I buy now, or wait another agonizing few months?

If you don't need it until August, then maybe wait. It's very likely Leopard will be out before August, plus you may get a better specced machine nearer the time.

Usually I'd just say get it now, there's always something better around the corner, but in your case, you have time on your side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you don't need it until August, then maybe wait. It's very likely Leopard will be out before August, plus you may get a better specced machine nearer the time.

Usually I'd just say get it now, there's always something better around the corner, but in your case, you have time on your side.

I rarely agree with this form of thinking of "wait for the better stuff" but In this case, I think zoolook is right. You have time on your side and Leopard will most likely be out before then (but nobody knows for sure weather or not it will be delayed, but August is definitely after spring) and since you are going to need it for college I think some of the features of leopard will be useful to you so if you wait you will not have to pay for it again.

Reaction score
I would wait until August. You will probably get a better machine for the money. Use the next few months to save up a few more pennies. You may be able to afford a few nice upgrades by then. Also, Apple has been known to offer free stuff to returning students in the Fall. Remember to use your student discount as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i hope to get a macbook for 6th form/post 16/collage this summer and i am going to wait till august - see what comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Definitely wait until summer. Apple has offered deals the past two years. When my sister bought her computer for college she got a free iPod Mini with it, and my computer this summer came with a free Nano. Wait it out. Leopard will almost certainly be out by then (Apple will have really blown it if it isn't) and you'll get a better machine and probably a better deal.

Good luck with college.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.