BUSTED INVERTER BOARD?? FIX or SELL?

S

sashax415

OK so i just finished writing a reallly long post and then my battery died and i lost the whole thing.. so here is the abbreviated version b/c im too tired to do it all over again. :cool:

I have an 800 mhz IBOOK that I purchased for school and used just for word and internet. pretty much exactly a year and one month later,right when the warrantee expired :mad: ... the screen froze and turned into a colorful display of vertical lines. I restarted and it did it again.. and again.. and again. So I brought it to the Applestore when i had the chance and the guy took one look and said "It's a busted inverter board!" Strangely he looked pretty happy about it. He said it's pretty common and a pretty simple fix. ANyways, with no AppleCare, I took my sickly laptop home and put it in the closet until i could decide what to do. It has now been there about 6 months...

My question is this: I just posted this for sale in the classifieds and was hoping someone could give me an honest opinion of what it is worth?? IS it even worth selling?? Could i have this fixed for less than the arm, leg, and half a soul that APPLE wants? Again, this is in Brand New condition, even the tech said it was obvious that it was hardly used. What do you guys think?... ANy input would really be helpful... THANKS!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
What did they quote to fix it?

Jerry

OP
T

TylerMoney

It's still a good computer.....if it's fixed....it shouldn't have the same problems as the other board...apple has apparently fixed those problems...if you can easilly afford to fix it, I would......however..the new g4 iBooks are all relatively cheap...so if you can sell the iBook as is for a couple hundred...or somethng...then purchase a new g4 iBook..that would be pretty sweet..they have the new slot loading drive..

OP
S

sashax415

TylerMoney said:
It's still a good computer.....if it's fixed....it shouldn't have the same problems as the other board...apple has apparently fixed those problems...if you can easilly afford to fix it, I would......however..the new g4 iBooks are all relatively cheap...so if you can sell the iBook as is for a couple hundred...or somethng...then purchase a new g4 iBook..that would be pretty sweet..they have the new slot loading drive..

I actually HAVE the g4 powerbook already as a replacement.. i got it right after the other one broke so i really just want to sell this one as is...

The guy at apple told me off the top of his head that to have the inverter board replaced it would cost about 300 bucks... not because the board itself is expensive, but because of the labor it would require to open up the laptop... he said this is true of pretty much all laptop repairs..??... Anyway, that seemed kinda steep to me so I asked how much it would be if I just purchased the inverter board myself and had someone outside fix it for me.... and he said $700.00!!!!! :eek: The part itself would cost more than twice the part installed??... it makes no sense to me

WTH right?.. i dunno.. he gave me some kind of reasoning that i didnt understand and i just got out of there.. I mean already having a replacement, I just dont want to deal with it. Sooo.. anyone have a better idea of what this computer might be worth AS IS??? thanks :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

hmmm...yeah....try and sell it..but with a broken logic board..you can't expect much from it. I myself wouldn't mind having two laptops..just for the heck of it....so...maybe you should just go ahdead and fix it....and then at least when you sell you....you cold get more money out of it...and at least break even...and not have to give someone a broken laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.