Apple's "Preview" app question..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I noticed it doesn't view animated gif's. It just shows the first frame and doesn't move. It's pretty annoying. Can anyone recommend me an image viewing program that doesn't suck? Most preferably an image manager, something similar to ACDSee Photo Manager but of course for Mac, because I don't really like iPhoto especially for the fact that it isn't well organized and it copies and copies images to its folder, eating up hard drive space.

Suggestions very much appreciated!:mac:

Reaction score
This q comes up from time to time. The only way I know to view animated gifs is to drag them onto safari. But I know that in the past someone has come up with another way, maybe a 3rd party app. I just can't recall though.

*Edit* I just remembered that QuickTime can play animated gifs....

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I think QuickTime's too heavyweight for an image viewing program. :)

Anything else?

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is PhotoLine something to Adobe Photoshop? I already have CS3. I'm really asking for something like ACDSee Photo Manager, not an editing program. I just want a picture manager similar to iPhoto but better.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. :flower:

Reaction score
No probs rixx03, might be worth your while to search around the forums as I know this has been discussed before... I'll continue searching the net and post back if I find something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
If you open the Drawer in preview you can view and select the frames of an animated GIF, and there are keyboard shortcuts to move between frames. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

There's an open source program called Pixen for working with animated GIFs, but bear in mind it's as buggy as ****, and crashes after every save.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey I know that! (Xee):mac:

It's pretty good and I used to have it on my PC. I'll still try to search for alternatives but if I don't find anything better than that then I'll stick with it!

Anyway I tried ACDSee for Mac a while a go. You can find it in Soft32 Website, but it's out of date and it's discontinued. It's alright, but the viewer itself isn't that good. The only thing I like about it is the picture browser. It isn't as good as the Windows version.

I wish they didn't discontinue it. Stupid Windows software. :O

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.