VMware Fusion and WinXP Pro for games?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Hello, I am running the latest version of VMware Fusion and have a WinXP Pro virtual machine that I run inside it as well. I have been quite happy with it thus far and the latest release runs even faster (beta 3) that prior releases, but I have been curious if anyone has had any success running games on it? I have the experimental DirectX 8.1 support enabled, and I installed DirectX 9.0c but thus far I have yet to have a 3D game work well. Pinball works ok(....), but i put on the Flatout demo and a NFS Porche demo, but neither really worked that well; the games loaded fine, but the video would strobe on and off (though between the black gaps, it looked alright). Any ideas as to what I should try, or has anyone had success with a few titles? Thanks!

Reaction score
I got Thief: The Dark Project (1998 3D game) working on it fine and Abe's Oddworld Oddysee (1997 2D game) working fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I think im going to try to runs some of my games through fusion soon...
I will post back when i get more info about how it works...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You might have more luck with Parallels - from what I've seen of the comparisons between the two, Parallels' 3D emulation is more robust at this point. Don't forget that Fusion is a brand new product, whereas Parallels has had quite a bit more development.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.