Why Hide?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I've been playing with some OS X settings including to do with Hide-ing applications.

My question is, why would I want to Hide an application, rather than either shutting its window and leaving the app running, or minimizing it? Am I missing something obvious, or is it a legacy feature from before the days of Expose and straightforward window management? Or is it to do with apps with multiple open windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
If you have lots of windows/apps open... and you want to get at a file, image, etc. on your desktop... That's what I use it for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If the question is Hide vs. Minimize, the answer is likely as simple as Dock space. If you Hide something that is already permanently on your Dock, it doesn't use up any more Dock space. If you minimize the same app, it adds the minimized window icon to the right side of the Dock. Hence, I tend to use Hiding just to keep things tidy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If the question is Hide vs. Minimize, the answer is likely as simple as Dock space. If you Hide something that is already permanently on your Dock, it doesn't use up any more Dock space. If you minimize the same app, it adds the minimized window icon to the right side of the Dock. Hence, I tend to use Hiding just to keep things tidy.

That is exactly why I hide vice minimize.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Some apps can be hidden simple because you don't need to get at them. Whenever I start MAMP for web development I hide it so it doesn't get in the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.