Airport Extreme Base station

Reaction score
I asked this question in another section, so I thought I'd give it it's own thread. In reguard to the Airport Extreme Base Station... Is is possible to write ACL's with the Firewall? By that I mean allow/disallow IP's or Ports/Services. Apple claims its a good small business Firewall, but if you can't write an ACL then it's worthless as a decent Firewall / Router.

Thanks,
Jay

Reaction score
I have the A Extreme base station. I'm kind of a network newbie, but I'll help you out if I can. Let me know what you want me to check for.

OP
jaynorris
Reaction score
I have the A Extreme base station. I'm kind of a network newbie, but I'll help you out if I can. Let me know what you want me to check for.

Thanks. Basically I'm looking for any configuration option with the base station that will allow me to do any of the following.

Allow/Disallow Multiple IP addresss or mac address bound to a port.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing if it's possbile to put the IP address or mac address in a schedule mode. For example I don't want my daughter to surf the net after 9 on Mon-Fri, but on Sat-Sun she can surf until midnight (just an example).

And lastly logging... What sort of logging features does the Extreme have?

I'm not looking for all these features in one unit, as it's to much to ask for the price Apple is selling for. It would be nice however to know exactly what's available to the purchasor when we are spending almost $200 for a router/firewall. I'm not anal, but I do Network Security type work and well the reality of the Internet is a constant reminder.

Thanks,
Jay

Reaction score
You are over my head, but I will try to help you out.

Here are the options for logging. Let me know if you want any sub menus.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
I know you can configure port mapping. I assume that's pretty normal.

Here are some more settings I think you're looking for. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

OP
jaynorris
Reaction score
Excellent, looks though the router offers some contol. I do wonder if you can access restrict a specific IP or mac address. Ok, thanks cherokee you've shown me some good stuff, and I now have a better idea what to expect from the Base station.

Thanks!
Jay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.