Using disk utility to erase dvd-rw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Hi,

I'm having real problems using disk utility to delete my dvd-rw. I normally use dvd-rw to burn tv shows then when i've watched em just delete ready for the next set to be burned. Ive always used disk utility to erase em but since yestaday i now have problems. I erase the disk fine, then the option comes up asking me what to do with the blank dvd. I use toast but when using that i always says but in an blank dvd, but the one that i have just erased is in. I eject then put it back in but still says need blank dvd. Thought it was toast but have tried using normal dvd and they work fine also used disco smoke to burn and i get the same problem says needs blank dvd. I've done a quick erase and full but still no good. In disk utility after erasing it says under disk info that the disk is read only. this happens with all my dvd-rw disk so and cus they've worked before i know it aint the disks.

any ideas

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
youll need to format it with toast, i had this exact problem.

its under the "recorder" menu button

OP
ferritt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When u say format i would imagine ya mean erase cus thats the only option i can find in toast.

cheers

OP
ferritt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When using the disk utility what bit of the disk do i erase??? What i mean is I have just put in a dvd-rw which has an tv episode on it (divx disc made from toast). In disk utility the disk can be seen and below the disk it shows the contents of that disk. Do i highlight the contents of the dvd-rw and choose to erase that or highlight the actual dvd its self and erase that? If i choose to full erase the disk will i have to format the disk (unsure how) to make it work with toast? Also whats the best option to choose quick erase or not? The way toast burns my dvd is that I cant add to em so once they've been burnt i have to erase the disk to put re-use it.

Toast has work perfect for me with no problems until now. Tried another program (disco burn) and it fails to burn the same image file.

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.