• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

First iPod "Proof of Concept Virus" created

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/06/first.ipod.virus.created/

I just about laughed my rear-end off when they got to the part where it said:

...users must first install a copy of the Linux operating system, and then install the virus, which contaminates essential files.

So, wait, you're telling me that you must first circumvent any inherent protection afforded by the iPod's OS by installing Linux before the thing will even be vulnerable?

That's like saying that the Mac is vulnerable because you can install Windows on it and therefore be infected by Windows' viruses. Give me a break!!

M

MacHeadCase

Oh man! That's pretty bad. The way they absolutely must find something wrong with Apple products... Ugh.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh man! That's pretty bad. The way they absolutely must find something wrong with Apple products... Ugh.

I think it's just killing some people that OS X and the iPod have been virus-free for so long now, especially in light of all the problems with Windows' security and even Windows Mobile. I'd imagine the Zune doesn't have long before it falls victim.

M

MacHeadCase

I entirely agree. And a great find! Can't rep you — you know the drill... Need to spread the love...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good find! Very funny. I needed a good laugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
So..... this is a Linux virus then...? Or am I missing something!?

Reaction score
You aren't missing anything. It's a Linux virus, and in that case, I don't think it's even the first virus planted on an iPod. I recall something a while ago about a Windows virus on a 'Doze-formatted iPod. Yawn.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You aren't missing anything. It's a Linux virus, and in that case, I don't think it's even the first virus planted on an iPod. I recall something a while ago about a Windows virus on a 'Doze-formatted iPod. Yawn.

Those guys at Kaspersky... they are innovative, aren't they?

Reaction score
Pretty funny! I guess that no virus protection program is going to be able to stop someone from deliberately installing that "virus"!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Its a virus, that you must first install linux for, then install the virus, and on top of that, run the virus program.

Last time I checked, don't viruses infect and run without you installing special software for them, and telling them to run?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
When you start installing the software that installs the viruses thats more of a spyware/malware thing correct? like when people all install that new wallpaper app in offices etc..... But I dunno, given time there has to be someway to make a virus and with the increasing usage of macs theres a bigger and bigger target..... If the ever is a virus, it will spread like crazy, cause very few mac people will be cautious towards it/ be prepared!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
"Several times, already, I've noticed that I've accidentally installed linux on my iPod. I think many people have. I've also been buried alive twice, had my liver taken out by thieves, and forgotten to bring money, and only realized it after eating the whole meal at a restaurant."

lol i love that sarcasm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Those guys at Kaspersky... they are innovative, aren't they?

I just wonder how long they sat there trying to find a way to get a virus on an iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Usually. But this is another honour system virus.

I knew that one as the first galician virus, several friends used to have it as signature. It was something like this...

"Hi, i'm the first galician virus. But, because we galicians don't have knowledge of computers, i work based in an honor system. Please, after reading this message, send a copy to all the people you know and then format your hard drive. Thanks!"

It did confounded some people who had very little knowledge about computers.

edit: That link is from 2001, this is the original one i guess, from 1997-1998.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently shopping for my first Mac.
Though iPods are safe for the time being, experts warn that as with other exploits, it may only be a matter of time before a legitimate threat emerges.
You have been warned people! Think twice before you select yes to formatting your iPod, installing linux, and then installing a virus.

You know, I'm so impressed by this find from Kaspersky that I might switch to their award winning software.
http://macnn.com/rd/75050==http://www.kaspersky.com/

Reaction score
Why would anyone want to install Linux or any other operating system on an ipod?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would anyone want to install Linux or any other operating system on an ipod?

<sarcasm>
Well... in order to install a virus and make the news, of course! :bomb:
</sarcasm>

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.